The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with navicular cysts. My barrel/reining horse has them and we have him in shoes with pads. I have wondered about nerving him and asked several people who have had horses with navicular disease. I have not heard from anyone that has had the cysts. If you have any experience with this, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya. The vet x-rayed his right front hoof and it showed a cyst on the navicular bone. His lameness got better after we started puting the pads on and trimming his toe short, but here lately it has gotten worse again.

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
OK--are the cysts the same thing as lollipop lesions? Can you post the X-rays?

Tildren is the drug of choice for treating true navicular disease. They like to do a localized infusion. I would hesitate to nerve a horse except as a very last-ditch salvage operation--many people do, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily in the horse's best interest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it is the same thing. I do not have the x-rays with me, they are with the vet. In the x-ray it looked like a dark gray circle over the bone. Ok Thanks I will do some reading on tildren and ask my vet about it. It just kills me to see him limping. My vet said if they nerved him he would only nerve the middle third of the hoof. Do you know if that is the same in nerving for the disease?

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
Like so?

Yes, or well, nerving will be done to the degree that is necessary to make the hosre go sound. Whatever portion of the hoof needs to be blocked, will be blocked.

Navicular Disease New Treatments

I'm sure if you google Tildren you can find better information about profusion treatments. That's now the preferred way to do it--they used to do it intravenously for the whole horse, but that is less effective?

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
Huh. Never seen anything like that, although I would argue that their "normal" still shows a lot of navicular damage! Did the vet guess at what caused it? I wonder if treatment would still be the same....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha. He said it could be caused by hard pounding on the ground, but thats all I know. I'm curious if it would be. I just want to find something to help get him out of pain.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not all nav. cysts cause lameness. Depends as to where the cysts/s' are.

There are plenty of examples of sound horses showing cysts on rads. Warmbloods are a prime example.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.