The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a sophomore in high school but of course I am already looking into my future. I currently show AQHA in mainly hunter under saddle and equitation with my current horse but with my old horse I did western pleasure and horsemanship as well. I also plan on doing horsemanship and showmanship this year with my new horse.

I am hoping to get an NCEA scholarship for horsemanship. I have no major awards right now, and 2014 was my first time showing at a national level (Congress) and I will be showing at the Youth World Show this year and also Congress.

I have done my research on these scholarships and the type of people who get them. I understand these colleges want excellent riders that can handle a lot of different types of horses, but I cant help but notice something.

Looking at the college team rosters, the majority of the horsemanship girls have amazing show records. Top 10s and 5s at Congress and worlds, all-around awards, high point awards, multiple superiors, Congress champion/reserve, and even the occasional World champion/reserve or top 5s/top 10.

Before you are under the impression that I think they pick girls based on how well they place with their $100,000 horses at shows, I am not. I just tend to see a pattern that these riders have great accomplishments.

I bought this new horse to be more competitive at a higher level.

I am still a novice, but I was just wondering if there are any specific steps/goals I should take to get me noticed by colleges.

I know about sending in videos and proving my skill but it seems to me the best way to get noticed and recruited by colleges is to build up your show record.

I have the rest of 2015, 2016, and part of 2017 to try and get noticed to get a scholarship.

If you know of any particular NCAA colleges that have certain patterns in the riders they choose for their teams, that would be extremely helpful. Such as: Superiors, finalist at worlds, top 10 at Congress, all-around awards, awards on different horses, etc.

Again, I am not trying to make it out that they only pick riders based on their show record and not their ability, I have simply just observed that the majority of these girls have excellent show records.

My first goal is to novice out which I am hoping to accomplish in Hunter Under Saddle and EQ this year.

It is my ultimate goal to get my Youth superior in Hunter Under Saddle and maybe even EQ. I also would really like to be top 10 or top 5 at congress and possibly be a finalist and the world show.

I know that some of this may be un-realistic goals for me to set for what seems like such a short amount of time, but I feel the need to set these high goals for my horse and I.

If you have any suggestions on how to build up my resume for college I would greatly appreciate it. Also, even if you don't know anything about the NCEA teams or any of the events I do, any advice would really help me.

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Following and subscribing to hear more.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
My only suggestion is to find out who the scouts are for your intended schools and find out what shows they will be at and try to show at those. I show IHSA, which is lower than NCAA and allows anyone, but NCAA riders are the best of the best. Scouts go and track them down. I know for sure that the girl who rides Vital Signs Are Good, who is one of the very best pleasure mares in the AQHA, was scouted and convinced with scholarships.

Otherwise, contacting the coach of the team(s) you are interested and ask what kind of rider they are looking for and what you could improve on in the next couple of years in order to be prepared and a prospect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.