The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mare with heaves. It's typically mild, but is triggered by pollen, harvest, and drastic weather changes (hot or cold). I'm tinkering with the idea of buying a nebulizer and starting breathing treatments but I have a few questions.

Are they worth it? Did they really help a lot?

How often did you treat, and what did you use?

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I knew a horse that had something similar and they had to use a nebulizer every day. The biggest report was that the horse was able to rest properly (duh) however its worth noting that it was with vet supervision and drugs prescribed... But depends. What medication, if any, would you use with said nebulizer? Have to be careful because if they are congested just "misting" the lungs so to speak for the sake of doing it and not actually with anything prescribed/directed by vet could make things worse... or even introduce more yuckies.

Having various other animals and being in a hospital role just things to remember - don't muck out/clean when they are in the vicinity. Ever. I've made this mistake in the past and it resulted in a dead pet because of one lapse of concentration on my part :<

- nose nets for riding/fly mask with nose for turnout (note: someone I knew used a nose net to help keep the nose air "warm" for outside riding) Really keep this/these properly disinfected and cleaned regularly.
- damp hay
- good dusting of stable
- anti-histamines during pollen season
- consider change of bedding
- access to food (if on floor maybe time to put hay in a bin/rack/net so easier to keep the food area and nose clean/dust free
- disinfecting feed and water buckets appropriately on a regular basis
- disinfecting brushes etc
- be vigilant if there is any mould and address where you can

If you feel you addressed everything you can environmentally and after consulting with a vet, possibly trying anti-histamines THEN I personally would consider medicating with a nebulizer. I haven't owned a horse with heaves but have enough experience in COPD in people and animals. Ugly stuff and each case is different. And yes nebulizers are amazing when used properly but is a lot of maintenance..

@Acadianartist had some troubles if I remember correctly and went through hell and back to try get it fixed so hopefully she can help. Plenty others will be able to offer first hand equine assistance ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts