The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone on here who knows of a decent trainer between London and Hazard, Kentucky. Does anyone know of any websites that list trainers or any other way I can find one?

I've had my almost 4 year old trail horse since last summer. She'd never been ridden when I first got her and she has done very well since her trainer (me) is almost as inexperienced as she is. I know that she is a quick and willing learner and she's never tried to buck or anything like that. I feel safe and capable of training her. I just don't have the time to do it adequately right now. I want to trail ride her and have fun, not have every moment I spend with her be a frustrating training session. I know that there will always be some training to do, but I want someone else to take care of the basics.

I'd planned on having a neighbor train her (mostly hubby's idea), but I'm concerned that he'll be too casual about it. I want someone a bit more professional. The problem is that I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest professional trainer I've found is almost 1 1/2 hours away, but they sounded great when I talked to them. I found someone else a little closer on craigslist who looked great in their ad, but she sounded to be about 12 on the phone, and I wasn't overly impressed after talking to her.

Also, how long should it take to make her a very reliable trail horse? The guy I talked to quoted me $1000/month and said it should take 2-3 months. That seems a bit steep for this area. I don't mind paying if that's a fair price. I just dont know. I kinda think one month would do it - since she's been ridden on trails and doesn't spook much - she just needs to be more reliable and polished.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.