The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we have a huge field where we'd like to eventally put our horses on. So in the right, top corner of the field, there used to be two very old, very sick cherry trees. Now, one was half rotten and the other was barely producing any cherries anymore. We knew that cherry trees are poisonous to horses and livestock, so we cut them both down and piled them up with a bunch of other brush and stuff that we were going to burn. We did that last spring and they were sitting in a pile for months until we burned it over their old stumps. (We will also be removing their stumps.)

Anyways, I'm wondering how long do I have to wait before I can put my horses out to pasture beside where the trees used to be. And also, is the poison now in the ashes? I have been trying to do my research and find out that stuff but I cannot find anything. Like, will the cyanide be in the ashes now? How far away do I have to block off around the spot? And will it kill them if they grazed there in a year or so?

We are already planning not to put any livestock near there for at least a year. We will block that part off. But I'm like having an anxiety attack thinking about this. We will talk to the vet about this in the spring but right now I feel stressed LOL

(Also, we have plenty of room in the rest of the field to have the horses there instead of near where the cherry trees were.

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
The poison is primarily in the pits and leaves. I'd remove the stumps and turn them loose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts