The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new "horse" owner. Actually he's a mini horse. R.J. was given to my 4 year old duaghter this past summer. He was a 3 yr old colt. Very sweet, but with a bit of an attitude. The attitude disappeared when we had him gelded. Carrying passengers is new to him. Before he was gelded he always wanted to go fast, but since then it's like dragging a sled. I'm getting more of a work out than him. Last time I got him to trot with a passenger was when I put a friend's daughter up on his back. A "stranger" to him. But getting him to trot with my daughter isn't going so well.

Any ideas? Owning a horse is a first for me and it's all new for him too so we both need the help

Sarah
this is my first time on here

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Try driving from the rear. Place your hand with the lead rope out in the direction you want the horse to go. With the opposite hand drive the horse by either twirling the loose end of the lead rope or using a lunge whip. Keep putting pressure on till he starts to move then remove the pressure. Start with an "ask" ie twirl the rope. Work up to a "tell", making contact with the rope on his butt. If he moves on the "ask" stop there, if he doesn't, work up to the "tell".
Practice doing this with no one on his back, giving voice commands "walk" "trot" etc. then "whoa" to stop him. I use a kiss as a cue to walk out. and kiss kiss kiss to go faster :lol: Whichever your more comfortable with. Teaching him from the ground will make the transfer to the saddle much easier. He will learn that walk means walk trot means trot etc. Its always best to start from the ground up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll try that. With no horse experience and RJ having no prior training I'm feeling like I'm in a bit over my head. :? But my daughter loves him and he's such a sweet heart. He learns what not to do easily enough.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Congrats on the first horse! I would listent to everything vidaloco has to say, she knows her stuff. Also, I have to say that since this is your first horse experience, it is good that it is with a miniature horse and not an actual horse that is about 16h, because if your not very experienced than the bigger they are, the more intimidating. I hope all goes well!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, and yes I am glad he is small too. Before we had him gelded he had quite an attitude and I think he knew I was intimidated, cause he was pretty pushy with me. I'm much more comfortable with him now. Getting better all the time :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thats so good that your getting better every time! Are you planning on getting any more someday? Do you want just mini's or would you ever think about something bigger like a pony?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
As Vidaloco said, with a horse, it's all about pressure, whether it's with your hand, the end of the lead, a stick, or your legs while riding. They will want to move away from the pressure, whether forward (if on the butt), backward (like on the chest), or side to side. The 'training' is to have the horse associate which way to move from where you are applying pressure and a voice command.
They're smart and will learn with patience, consistancy, and practice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.