The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning, this will be a long post! :neutral:

I have posted on here several times about my horse in the past, but I just need advice from other horse people on what to do with him. Here's the story...Tuni got an ethmoid hematoma shortly after I bought him. I have a vet in the area who learned how do perform formalin injections to it in order to destroy it and it was gone in about 4 injections. We recently found a second one that we had missed before (thinking there was only one we were originally dealing with) and started injecting that one. We noticed though that he wasn't breathing out of the oposite nostril anymore and when she scoped it, there was inflammed tissue blocking it that she couldn't get through. Her concerns are that it's something more aggressive going on in his sinuses and wants me to take him to Cornell (about a 3 hour drive) for a CAT scan ($1200) and probable sinus surgery ($2500-$3000). I'm fighting with the decision of whether or not to do this.

I'm not riding him anymore and he's not bothered by it at all so it's not a decision I need to rush into, but I also don't want to wait too long to decide. I am getting xrays taken next week to factor out an object being stuck in his nose and I'm going to get him re-scoped eventually (my vets scope broke and is out getting fixed right now) before I make any decisions about Cornell. **Also note, the hematomas are more then likely separate from whatever is blocking his nostril. The fact that they typically come back throughout the horses life isn't a big concern for me. The injections aren't that expensive so I'm considering them as any other type of routine maintenence. It's spending roughly $4200 (more then I spent buying him) to get all this work done that I don't even know will solve everything that I can't decide on. Obviously, if a CT scan showed something that surgery wouldn't solve indefinately, I wouldn't go through with the surgery.

The thing is that I had a mare right before him that I had to give up because she came up lame. I spent months trying to figure out why and trying to help her and none of the vets I went to could give me an answer. If I get rid of him, emotionally, I could not handle getting another horse and having something happen to that one (because I'm really feeling like the world is against me being happy with a horse) so if I give up on him I'm not getting another one. I have not had him for very long (almost a year) but I really love riding him and spending time with him. I still get butterflies when I think about going to see him and that's the feeling you want with a horse right?! I rode another horse the other day and had a fantastic ride on him...then I got on Tuni bareback and just walked around a bit and all I could think was how much better it was and how much I wish I could be riding him instead. He's got tons a potential that I see and he's just a fun ride in general even when he's being bad :p . SO a huge part of me says he's worth it and I want to do it! Then the other part of me says I'm being silly spending so much on a horse I haven't even had that long and maybe I'm just being naive. The other difficult part of it all is that it's very unlikely that'd I'd be able to find a new home for him knowing he needs as much money put into him as he does, therefore, the other option is putting him down :cry:.

It's hard talking to non horse people about it because to them it's crazy to even consider it. They don't get the connection we get with some of these horses so I wanted to post here just to see what kind of opinions you guys have.

Here's some pictures to put a face to the name! He's so cute! :loveshower: FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
OK, this is one tough situation. You seem to have a handle on the financial side, and what is holding you up is the emotional side. The only advice I have is to start reading stories of other people's stories with their horses. Horses can be with us for a long time, trouble free, or it can go the other way. It is really a roll of the dice for any horse, high dollar or back yard plug. I think if you start to see that we all go through this kind of heartbreak, your decision will become clearer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
You really have to ask yourself do the treatments have any guarantees?
If they work will they improve his quality of life? (will you ever be able to ride him again or will he just be a backyard pet? will he need continual treatment?)
Can you afford this financially and emotionally?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,310 Posts
Age would be part of the determining factor for me. If he's young I would probably go for at least the CT scan then have a discussion with the vets there at Cornell about outcomes, recurrences, etc... and then go from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Age would be part of the determining factor for me. If he's young I would probably go for at least the CT scan then have a discussion with the vets there at Cornell about outcomes, recurrences, etc... and then go from there.
He's only 9, and just turned that 2 months ago. I also have all of his medical records from before I bought him dating back to 2009 and he's never had anything like this recorded before so it's all new. I was thinking along the same lines though. At least a CT scan will give me more answers that I can discuss with the doctors there about how good treatment outcomes are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heavy heart today :(

It pains me to say Tuni had to be put down this morning. I went outside last night feeling fine, and he came in this morning not able to breath through either nostril, wheezing for air, and coughing up blood. There was nothing my vet could do for him. I felt so helpless unable to make him feel any more comfortable. I'm happy I was working at the barn this morning so I could be there the whole time for him. I can't believe how fast it all happened. My vet said whatever was going on in his head was aggressive enough to grow that quick and block off his larynx. I just can't stop thinking about how I'll never see him again. :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
It pains me to say Tuni had to be put down this morning. I went outside last night feeling fine, and he came in this morning not able to breath through either nostril, wheezing for air, and coughing up blood. There was nothing my vet could do for him. I felt so helpless unable to make him feel any more comfortable. I'm happy I was working at the barn this morning so I could be there the whole time for him. I can't believe how fast it all happened. My vet said whatever was going on in his head was aggressive enough to grow that quick and block off his larynx. I just can't stop thinking about how I'll never see him again.
I am so sorry for your loss, be comfortable in the fact you did everything to help him and made the right decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,519 Posts
My thoughts are with you. Whatever was going on was obviously very bad to take him from you so quickly and unexpectedly. I am glad he had such a caring human of his own for a time, even if that time was cut short.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I am sorry for your loss, I am glad that you were there for him. He had a good life with you, you did all you could. Sometimes things just happen.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Thoroughbred123

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone for the kind words. He's in a better place. I kept some of his tail and am going to send it in to be made into a necklace so I always have a piece of him with me.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top