The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TB is 7. I bought him in October, he was absolutely perfectly behaved till December when he started acting out. When I ask him to trot or move forward he kicks up a hind leg moving it towards his stomach. He will do this with either leg. Ears pinned and clearly not wanting to work.
So far we’ve treated him for Ulcers and my vet said he thought he looked stifled from a video I showed him so he did injections on 12/28. I’ve been working him over poles daily to get strength in his hind area. He doesn’t look lame though! It can easily look like attitude. No limping at all and only kicks his back leg up when I use my own leg on him.
I had a friend Riding him 2 days a week and she used tiny English spurs so I thought he may have become spur sour as he wasn’t use to them.
his temperament is the biggest issue I’m having. He was an angel in the ring and on trail, very chill, now he’s irritable and spooky, unwilling to work.
I’m having the vet come back tomorrow but would love advice.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
What are you feeding him? (more detail the better - what type of hay, in weight how much, same with feed - do you know how much sugar/starch/protein etc as a start) How often?

What's his turnout situation? How long, with company, how big is the field, is there grazing during turnout or hay provided during?

Is he kept with company or alone at home etc?

Saddle/bridle/teeth/feet all been checked since purchasing? Did you do a PPE?

Is he first horse or are you an experienced owner and/or rider?

What is his exercise regime - any hacking/trail riding or daily arena etc?

Sorry for so many questions its just easier with more info ^>^ Others will be along too!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!! Thanks for your reply.
He is my first horse and I appreciate all the advice I can get. I feed him alfalfa just one flake and one PM, I give him one scoop of integrity grain
( no molasses) in the AM.
I let him eat TEFF grass in slow feeders during the day. Not sure of the weight, I just have 3 slow feeders so he can graze.
He had a lameness check and was fine when I bought him, the vet said he dragged back feet slightly but it wasn’t a concern.
saddle, bridal and teeth are good.
he’s in a large stall plenty of room with a nice neighbor. Before December I was taking him on trail he was perfect, great in the area. He was the horse you didn’t have to turn out before riding.
If anything he was lazy. He’s completely different now.. because I can’t figure out what’s going on with him I’ve just been working him more in the round pen and lunging daily. About 15-30 a day.

·
Super Moderator
13,887 Posts
WELCOME to the Forum...

Thoughts randomly coming to me...
Issues of round penning may be making him sore between footing and continual torque to his joints he indeed may now have issues.
Trail riding is far different mental stimulation than ring work...my horse gets a attitude in the ring yet is a champ on trails.
Farrier...is he do to have his hooves done?
Have you changed farrier and was a change to how his feet were done happen?
Is he now wearing a different brand shoe that may weigh more or be fit differently? That can make a horse move different and sore them. Is he now barefoot when he was shod or shod and he was barefoot?
You are at the honeymoon is over stage and the horse is challenging you and your authority. He is looking for reason to respect and follow your directive or challenge you and find you lacking so he will now present a different attitude and do as he wants...
Every-time you handle this horse you are training him...good or bad our every interaction teaches our horses minute cues they pick up on we don't realize we have sent...

Food I have no idea but if that is what he was eating when you purchased him then that should not be a issue...if you changed that too then it could be a contributing factor in attitude.
Is your tack properly fitting and adjusted for him?
Are you sure he is not having a issue with bad fit and is now had enough so since you did not pick up on subtle cues he is now getting your attention by showing more forcefully his displeasure.
Has he gained or lost weight or muscle tone cause that will affect saddle fit that may need to be rechecked for good fit.
The fact he drags his toes of hind feet is not right and something is a issue needs attending to.
Now for the next member to add or dispute...good luck finding what ails your horse.
🐴....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WELCOME to the Forum...

Issues of round penning may be making him sore between footing and continual torque to his joints he indeed may now have issues.
Trail riding is far different mental stimulation than ring work...my horse gets a attitude in the ring yet is a champ on trails.
Is he now wearing a different brand shoe that may weigh more or be fit differently? That can make a horse move different and sore them. Is he now barefoot when he was shod or shod and he was barefoot?
You are at the honeymoon is over stage and the horse is challenging you and your authority. He is looking for reason to respect and follow your directive or challenge you and find you lacking so he will now present a different attitude and do as he wants...
Every-time you handle this horse you are training him...good or bad our every interaction teaches our horses minute cues they pick up on we don't realize we have sent...

Food I have no idea but if that is what he was eating when you purchased him then that should not be a issue...if you changed that too then it could be a contributing factor in attitude.
Are you sure he is not having a issue with bad fit and is now had enough so since you did not pick up on subtle cues he is now getting your attention by showing more forcefully his displeasure.
Has he gained or lost weight or muscle tone cause that will affect saddle fit that may need to be rechecked for good fit.
The fact he drags his toes of hind feet is not right and something is a issue needs attending to.
Now for the next member to add or dispute...good luck finding what ails your horse.
🐴....
Thank you!! Good advice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!! Good advice.
WELCOME to the Forum...

🐴....
Thanks! Great advice. I do have a new farrier, he’s barefoot, great feet. The tack is well fit for him.
I agree that the round pen might may be an issue but he’s been acting out on trail so I don’t feel safe there. I am planning on getting a 2nd vet for a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
48,804 Posts
perhaps use a crop on his withers intead of any kind of firm leg I am assuming, perhaps wrongly, that you are 'squeezing' or bumping him firmly. And, this pressure is irritating to him , along with him not really wanting to move forward.
Sometimes horses are more resentful to any kind of firm squeezing for 'go forward' cue than they are to a soft bump of the ankle against the side. And, really, a well trained horse requires almost no leg at all. They read an inrease in your seat energy before the leg even needs to reinforce that.
I would work on geting him forward , in the arena, off of very little leg. try to see if you can get foward off your own intention only. you look forward at a 'goal', inhale and just basically think 'let's go!!!". If he has no response then slap your own thigh to see if that hoise wakes him up, last resort, bump him with your ankle nobs on his side, and if that doesn't do the right thing, then either take the loop of extra rein and 'whap whap!" on each side of his wither, or use a crop there, pop pop! quicck and startlling. I bet he will go forward.

this helps if a horse is prone to bucking with any kind of pop or smack on his hiney or behind the leg.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Can you post a video of him being lunged? Especially at the canter.
He sounds like slipping stifles, and if your vet thought stifles it is even more likely.

Injections don't necessarily work because it is not an inside the joint problem.
My TB was rehomed a few times because of similar. A big clue is dragging the hind hooves.

At first they seem fine, but as you work them more the ligaments rub more over the bone and get more inflamed. Soon exercise is painful. My horse kicked out and bucked a lot. Circles are difficult and poles as well if there is inflammation.

Other signs are reluctance to go downhill, problems in deep or loose footing, and getting "stuck" when asked to move forward. They tend to crossfire at the canter.

If this is the case, more helpful than the joint injections was putting my horse on Equioxx to help the inflammation. You could do a trial of bute for a couple of days, then ride to see if anything changes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It still sounds a LOT like ulcers. Sometimes one round of treatment isn't enough.
He sounds like slipping stifles, and if your vet thought stifles it is even more likely.

Injections don't necessarily work because it is not an inside the joint problem.
My TB was rehomed a few times because of similar. A big clue is dragging the hind hooves.

At first they seem fine, but as you work them more the ligaments rub more over the bone and get more inflamed. Soon exercise is painful. My horse kicked out and bucked a lot. Circles are difficult and poles as well if there is inflammation.

Other signs are reluctance to go downhill, problems in deep or loose footing, and getting "stuck" when asked to move forward. They tend to crossfire at the canter.

If this is the case, more helpful than the joint injections was putting my horse on Equioxx to help the inflammation. You could do a trial of bute for a couple of days, then ride to see if anything changes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi! That is something to think about, I’m actually trying to figure out how to upload videos here. That would be the best way to show you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

1 - 20 of 41 Posts