The Horse Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering buying this horse. The seller said that he has slightly low pasterns in the back. I have read that this can be problematic. Looking at these pictures, what advice do you have on if we should proceed with purchasing this horse or not? Thank you!
Horse Stable Working animal Liver Horse supplies

Horse Working animal Liver Horse supplies Wood

·
Registered
50,933 Posts
to be blunt: HARD pass! sorry, but that horse looks like she may have DSLD developing. There is a disussion on this topic happening right now, for that matter, on other threads. Also, she looks really uncomfortable and unhappy. , her pelvis angle is odd, her front left leg looks oddly shaped. (would need better photos to tell). her neck ties in very low'
I wonder her age.

Her color is so pretty, and in an auction setting one might feel very sorry for the horse. But, you asked for feedback, and I gave what I see.

calling @gottatrot

·
Registered
Retired breeder
2,305 Posts
Another one being very honest, absolutely not!
That horse is not just developing DSLD, she's got it.
Not to mention, that horse is quite old. I don't know what they told you on age, but I doubt that horse will see 25 again. I've had 30 year olds in better shape than that mare.

Sorry to be blunt, but you asked for our opinions. Just trying to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
17,225 Posts
I would pass too...
If it breaks your heart, spend the $$ and have a equine vet come to do a wellness and lameness exam and listen closely to the findings told to you. Then you will better understand why it's being said to pass.
There sadly are many things pointing to a degenerative disease well underway and the animal is going to start failing in health sooner rather than later. Hard decisions you will face and loss of not only use but money spent you could of spent elsewhere for a healthy animal...
I'm so sorry, but truly I would pass.
🐴...

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
This horse is literally everything you don't want when looking at conformation. Unless it's a mercy buy to just give the horse a place to retire and live out its life in peace, I would definitely pass.
Agreed, I would add that sure, you can buy this horse if you are ok with a pasture pet and if you have a bottomless pit of money to deal with the inevitable vet bills, and the willingness to deal with the heartbreak of having to make the decision to euthanize when the time comes (DSLD does not have good outcomes so this will happen sooner rather than later).

It's good that you're asking for opinions!

·
Registered
117 Posts
This makes me so sad…..my first horse as a child was a grulla, and I’m a sucker for one when I see it because of their unique color. But in all likelihood that horse is being dumped for a reason, as others are seeing by the pictures. My heart aches for any horse looking at a pretty sure arduous trip to a terrifying end, and if I could I would rescue them just to give them a peaceful end of life experience. He’s one of thousands whose owners unload their old/problematic horse(s) because they aren’t decent enough to deal with it themselves and instead leave the animal to suffer the fate of auction clean up without a thought to what likely lies ahead. My prayers for this guy and the rest of the innocents that this happens to when people give up or just don’t care. Sad but happens all the time.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
RUN don't walk, away. Sadly, old Dobbin here will probably cross the Rainbow Bridge before too many more seasons pass, or for comfort, we can hope he/she will. As for the pasterns, that's a lot more than slightly dropped. I can see a whole lot more going on that would make me not want to take on all the problems this poor horse has going on as well. Keep looking.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Pretty sure I saw this boy on my Facebook feed - at a "kill pen". He's registered and they have paperwork in hand. They're asking mid-4 figures for him. Sad to see. Hope he ends up in a good home that will do right by him - whatever that requires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts