The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 yr. old TWH cross has a bad foot due to an injury when he was a yearling. He now has a severely under-run heel and a flat sole (which he's standing on!:cry:) ANY IDEAS?!?!?! Farriers coming soon but I need some help on this one guys!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Talking to your vet and farrier are your best options. They have a better understanding of the foot and how to fix it. Without seeing the horse, I'm betting your farrier recommends a pad and shoes to balance him out properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd learn as much as you can about the horse hoof, and the different methods of shoeing and trimming (google and youtube are your friend) so you can make an educated decision. I seen quite a few hooves ruined because a farrier was trying to 'fix' something.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
My best advice is to check out my barefoot trimmer's site. I have a mare that has/had a problem with this type of hoof for a while and she is getting her fixed up. It takes a little time for the hoof to rebuild strength. Amber Mohr's Barefoot Hoof Care I hope that links ok.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ALL!! I talked to my farrier and Charlie's inability to wear shoes right now due to his injury we had to come up with some other ideas with my farrier. We've fixed him for now... hopefully it'll stay that way!

Any good fixes for poor hoof growth as well I'm just looking for a highly recommended supplement or topical conditioner....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Farrier's Formula is great for healthier hoof growth. but it will take months before you notice the difference. better hoof growth starts at the top.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Can we see pics of the hoof? Also what is this horse's complete diet like??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.