The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a dickens of a time fnding the right footwear for riding. I have a pair of Ovation tall English boots for Winter--they have a neoprene leg and conform to my leg and I love them. But they are very English and very Winter.

What I want is a pair of riding boots that is mid-calf, or at least a couple inches above the ankle bone and is good for warm weather riding. I have been using my Ariat Terrain for riding in Summer, but they are pretty short and my pants ride up and bare my ankle/leg while riding and I use these for hiking boots too and don't want to wear them out. I want a boot to come over the hem of my skinny jeans. Something that looks like this: (see pics below)

Or this:

I have only found one or two pairs of actual riding boots that look anything like this and they are WINTER--thermal, insulated, fur, etc. I cannot wear normal paddock boots. I tried about 10 different pairs last year. I have a VERY skinny ankle, and big, long feet. And I have heel spurs on the back of my heel--and the paddock boots ALL pressed painfully in at the back of the heel. I don't know why other styles of riding boots don't do that--but all the paddock boots did--from cheap schooling Tuff Rider boots up through expensive Dublins and the in-betweens (Shires and others). AND besides that, they don't fit well in the ankle--too loost and floppy if I get the kind that don't lace. The ones that lace still have the heel problem.

SO, any ideas? I want to just get one of the pairs in the link above, but I think they may have too much traction on the sole in the one case, or be too flimsy in the other case. I also need something reasonably comfortable for a 50 year old with plantar fasciitis--and the paddock boots all seem to be built very thin-soled and with no cushioning.

I was trying to stay under $100 or at least under $150.

Thanks for any help you can offer! These are the two styles I linked to above.

By the way, I HAVE tried Dublin Country Boots and other mid-calf country boots--my ankle and calf are way too skinny, they flop around very badly

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are my current Ariats. Will half-chaps fit over those--there isn't much ankle there. And won't chaps be hot?

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
View attachment 1111843 These are my current Ariats. Will half-chaps fit over those--there isn't much ankle there. And won't chaps be hot?
I wear these with the Terrain II mesh/rough-out half chaps. They aren't hot in New England (summer highs usually in the 80's but humid), but I don't know where you are.

These are the Ariats I was thinking of, but you have a difficult foot, I don't know that these would work either.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wear these with the Terrain II mesh/rough-out half chaps. They aren't hot in New England (summer highs usually in the 80's but humid), but I don't know where you are.

These are the Ariats I was thinking of, but you have a difficult foot, I don't know that these would work either.
These may work, but the III isn't available anymore, I'd have to go with the Heritage IV. I may do some more digging to see if I can fnd old stock somewhere. Amazon doesn't have any,but ebay might. Thanks!
The only other Ariat Heritage I had found perviously were for Winter.

·
Super Moderator
26,805 Posts
I had a pair of ariats that I wore until I had to duct tape them. I hated them at first because they were tight but I wore them in the creek one day and they conformed perfectly. (The western kilti is removable if you don't like it)

10002145_751702688002.html

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a pair of ariats that I wore until I had to duct tape them. I hated them at first because they were tight but I wore them in the creek one day and they conformed perfectly. (The western kilti is removable if you don't like it)

10002145_751702688002.html
I was just looking at these! The Heritage led me to these. And then these led me to a pair of Laredo's. I think I am going to order both the Ariat Lacer and the Laredo and return one. LOL, hopefully just one. I do have problem feet, so crossing fingers!

Thanks everyone! Feel free to keep the suggestions coming! :) I may have to send both pairs back.

Reactions: farmpony84

·
Super Moderator
26,805 Posts
Justins are what fit me the best because everything hurts my feet but I couldn't find any womens lacers in justin.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
I have worn Ariat Lacers forever if seems. Long narrow feet, tiny ankles. After I had my child though I had to replace them because my feet only got longer (flattened?) during pregnancy or so I thought. Prior to pregnacy I had a pair of 9B (brown). When I went to purchase a black pair I had to buy a 10B. Out of curiosity because of this thread i put the boots sole to sole. They are the exact same length. The 9Bs I tried though were way too small. I decided this year to replace both pairs and dress them up some so ordered the 10B Heritage. Way too small. Ordered the 11B still too small. I may or may not see if there is a size difference between styles but I really wanted something dressier.

So, just be forewarned about size.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have worn Ariat Lacers forever if seems. Long narrow feet, tiny ankles. After I had my child though I had to replace them because my feet only got longer (flattened?) during pregnancy or so I thought. Prior to pregnacy I had a pair of 9B (brown). When I went to purchase a black pair I had to buy a 10B. Out of curiosity because of this thread i put the boots sole to sole. They are the exact same length. The 9Bs I tried though were way too small. I decided this year to replace both pairs and dress them up some so ordered the 10B Heritage. Way too small. Ordered the 11B still too small. I may or may not see if there is a size difference between styles but I really wanted something dressier.

So, just be forewarned about size.
Wow, you have my kind of conformation--long feet and tiny ankles. It's tough to get any kind of boots to fit. As for the Ariat Lacers, I have my fingers crossed. I have been reading lots of reviews and apparently Ariat has gone WAY down in quality and that includes sizing issues. Many long term Ariat customers are jumping ship to other brands. It's sad that companies do this.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
For me they slip too much, I have trouble finding a heel narrow enough and trouble getting my foot out. I'd love a zip pair but as Animalia they are not fitting well around the ankle. To give an idea I can almost touch my middle finger to thumb around my ankle.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why not just a regular cowboy boot?
I've looked at them, but I do a lot of English riding too. Right now I'm about 50/50 on Western and English. Also cowboy boots are not that comfortable usually, at least not at the price point I'm looking at.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I was in my 20's, I never would have realized that footwear would become one of the central themes of my life! In all areas. Hiking, street walking, house shoes, riding boots. But our feet are SO important. I wish I could tell people in their 20's to STOP wearing those spiked heels and barely there flip flops and put on some decent footwear to protect their foot health. And I see teenagers and 20 somethings often riding their horses in inappropriate footwear too.

Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how the first two work. There will be the first two THIS YEAR. I tried at least ten pairs last year and just gave up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm very curious to hear what you experience with the Ariat Heritage sizing. I've looked at those a few times over the last few years, but the reviews are so hard to sort out--sizing is all over the place with some people finding they run large and others finding the opposite. The most recent reviews seem pretty good. Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm very curious to hear what you experience with the Ariat Heritage sizing. I've looked at those a few times over the last few years, but the reviews are so hard to sort out--sizing is all over the place with some people finding they run large and others finding the opposite. The most recent reviews seem pretty good. Fingers crossed for you.
Thanks, I'll let you know. Yea, I've been wanting to get a new pair of Ariat hiking boots cause mine are getting worn out after a few years, but the reviews all say they've gone downhill in quality and fit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts