Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends!

I really need your advices, tips & tricks! I've been participating in show jumping competition for about 5 years now and currently I'm doing 120 and 130 classes with my horse. Even though it's getting better, I'm still often concerned with if I'm going to see the right distance..this makes me kinda insecure and I'm not able to move(canter forwards) enough and get time faults or even if we have a clear round I'm to slow to get a ribbon. Could you please share some tips and exercises to overcome this, how I call it "mental barrier"? It really feels like I'm afraid to canter quicker because then it's even more difficult to see the right distance and I'm so afraid that if I miss it, we'll crash the fence or have an injury or something...Please help, this is very, very significant to me!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Agree with the above. If you get it right at the basic height then you will have it right at the others.

Know what your horses strengths are. Does he have a long / short stride. Is he powerful enough to do roll backs off a jump etc. then ride the course utilising those strengths Learn how to jump an angle and make sure you hit the start and the finish line at a "going speed'.

I would advise to definately drop the height until you have it figured out and are happy with what you need to do. It might mean having to ride faster and if so you can deal with that at the lower levels too but I would perfect the art of utilising your horses strengths to to beat the course.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
good body control is helpful. My niece showed my gelding in open jumper and as he was a western trained horse, he could make really tight turns, and cut corners, she won her classes because he could even do a roll back for her and save a lot of time that way. Not saying you should do a roll back but his ability to make these quick tight turns really worked for her, she won many classes with him.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Sounds like you are over faced. You need to drop back.

My best show jumper, who floated at 1.40 and had previous GP experience. Was anything but fast. But we would always be in the ribbons because we had perfected our path. Nailing those inside turns, seeing our spot for the next fence while still on the previous fence. We also had a big and bold ground covering stride.

You need a lot of work on your pace and path from the sounds of things. It is not about speed and height. If you are worried about crashing through your fence you are over faced. Which is nothing to be ashamed of. Step back a level and work on nailing your turns, finding the shortest path to a fence, where you can cut out strides etc..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.