The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a mini mare in December from an auction, she was big then. In march she foaled, I had the vet check her & the foal over the day she foaled and all was OK. Since foaling her weight has ballooned to where she looks bigger now than before she foaled. I'm not feeding any grain, but she is on pasture with access to hay as the grazing is poor. I'm at a loss as to what to do as she is looking absolutely obese and this can't be good for her. She's not getting any exercise as she is nursing and the foal tends to panic when you separate them. I have wormed her 3 weeks ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Forget the hay for a while. The grass is obviously not too poor for a nursing mini. If the foal needs a bit more, offer him a little creep feed. Tie mama and feed him from a pan or bucket close by.

Reactions: Shergar45

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll certainly give that a try. This is the 1st mare & foal I've ever dealt with, always had geldings. Your advice is appreciated - Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Even poor grass can be too much for minis. I had to cut my field in half for mine, cut off their hay except strict diet over winter and it still took 8 months for my little stallion to get to a good weight. He was getting big as a house.

I swear some of these little ******s can get fat just smelling it :)

Here he is now.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
I think you need to get her off green grass completely, even if it is poor quality. Are you able to set up a dry lot where there is no grass? When my mini mare started getting too overweight she developed mild laminitis and was pretty miserable.
I kept her in a dry lot and fed small amounts of hay throughout the day that had been well soaked in water beforehand to remove as much sugar as possible. Every day I took her for a short walk with little bursts of trotting or some gentle lunging - you really need to get her doing some exercise if possible.

Hopefully you can get some weight off her soon, dealing with laminitis is not fun. Would love to see a pic of them too if you have one :)

·
Super Moderator
22,806 Posts
So if you can't yet separate them, exercise them together - just let him run loose & follow wherever it's safe - good for him too!

A grazing muzzle may work well, to cut down her intake while not restricting area. Also I suggest looking into nutrition. Deficiency - & so supplementing - certain nutrients, such as magnesium & chromium, appear to be vital factors in metabloism & weight regulation, among many other things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts