The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure where to ask this question in the forum. This seemed like the only place. I have a 16 year old Quarter Horse that has grown a very long shaggy coat for the past 3 years. He has been tested 3 times for Cushings with negative results. It does shed out in the spring. A few have suggested it could be his genetics and not to worry. Easily said than done. I was wondering how I can track his family history and maybe somehow see if there is that problem in his lines. I know I am probably grasping at straws but just thought it was worth a try. Thanks for any input. He shows no other signs of Cushings disease.

·
Registered
735 Posts
If you call AQHA with his sire and dam's registered names and/or numbers, you can ask for the name and address of their last recorded owners. (Hopefully its current info-- AQHA can't guarantee it because people don't always update addresses etc., but its a start anyway.) Then you could drop them a note-- might be able to google up some phone numbers-- and ask your questions about the bloodlines.

AQHA Customer Service--- (806) 376-4811

I am not sure what your vet was saying though--if he/she said not to worry because it could just be his genetics, is he/she saying that long shaggy coats as a horse ages might just be a family trait rather than a problem?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, he suggested it may be a family trait. Another vet wants me to treat him for Cushings even with all the negative results. I hate to do that if he is ok. I have heard so many opinions and it is frustrating. I have tried to contact the person I bought him from (moved or unlisted) but i do have his papers with the breeders name. I should have thought of that myself. oh well thanks, hopefully I will be able to contact him. I feel silly now. Thanks

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Another vet wants me to treat him for Cushings even with all the negative results.
I certainly wouldn't take that route. All our mares' winter coats are different, and our youngest Paint mare goes from very short in the summer to long and wavy every winter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He shows no other signs of Cushings and he sheds out by June and looks beautiful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts