The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There might be a place for this already, but I wanted to be safe, so I put it in Horse Talk.
My quarter horse has a brand, but I have no clue how to read brands. There's only one person on his transfer papers and then there's a ranch called "4-R Ranch" in RineyVille Kentucky that got his coggins filled out. I don't know if they did the brand or not. But, I'm not sure since he has been apparently passed around a bunch of barns before arriving at his final destination, me. :lol: So I need some help..
Here is the brand on his left hip:

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Unfortunately, there's really no way to know where he might have gotten the brand. The only way to find out would be to basically track down each previous owner. Start with contacting the 4R ranch and try to find out who they sold him to and contact that person. If it's been more than just a couple of homes or if any of the previous owners have moved, you may hit a dead end there.

The biggest problem with trying to track a horse's (or any animal's) origin via a brand is that brands are able to be duplicated in different jurisdictions. For example, someone in OK and someone in CO and someone in ND could have a brand identical to mine because you register your brand with your local authority. There is no national database for them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, there's really no way to know where he might have gotten the brand. The only way to find out would be to basically track down each previous owner. Start with contacting the 4R ranch and try to find out who they sold him to and contact that person. If it's been more than just a couple of homes or if any of the previous owners have moved, you may hit a dead end there.

The biggest problem with trying to track a horse's (or any animal's) origin via a brand is that brands are able to be duplicated in different jurisdictions. For example, someone in OK and someone in CO and someone in ND could have a brand identical to mine because you register your brand with your local authority. There is no national database for them.
Ahh thank you for this! I thought that every band had their own brand. I'm not familiar with brands at all. I contacted his old transfer paper owner on facebook and he hasn't gotten back to me. I might have come off as the "crazy horse owner" :lol: and I called 4-R Ranch but they don't have a facebook/site and their number was disconnected. I did read online they sent many horses to slaughter and the owner died while trailering horses to a slaughter house though. :oops: It made me very upset and unsettled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.