Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is the deal we just took in a rescue that is 7 months old
he is doing VERY well we just are not sure what we should be giving him to make it to where he puts on weight and gets back to being a playful colt i have some pics on my profile and will be posting more as he gets better
right now i have him on a 9% quarter horse feel he is getting it in small amounts b.c he was not really given alot where he was he does not have a problem eating AT ALL just do not want to over do it if that is possible (????)
is there something that i need to be putting in his feed that will do him some good or in the water? i have just plain water in there for him and i was told to add a little something to it to make sure that he gets enough in him but i was not told what to add so if there is any suggestions that would be great :D
i was told that a little wheat brand in with his sweet feed would be good but i am not sure about that either
like i said i would LOVE to have any insight to anything anyone knows or some hints on how to get him to do better
i do need to know though if he was only getting a little to eat should i work him up from what he was getting or should i give him about what he should be getting again he is 7 months old
i do not know about his mother and not really sure of when he was taken from here if she is still alive NOTHING
his coggins test came back and it was neg he had a little cold but it was told it was jsut shipping fever he was given antibiotics and it is all cleared up
he seems to want to be lovable but is still stand offish it is almost like he catches himself trying to be lovable and stops i know it is going to take some time i just feel really bad what he has been though in his young life no animal or human should have to go through that in a life time much less in the first 7 months of their life
anyway thank you for listening and if anyone has anything they can add to help that would be great you can either private message me or just add on to here thanks in advance to all who respond and God Bless

·
Registered
481 Posts
Take him off the sweet feed and put him on Equine Junior (Purina). Change him over gradually. Make sure he's getting good hay and fresh water should be enough. They were probably telling you to add electrolytes to his water.

Good groceries should do the trick

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was about to say the same thing qtrhrsecrazy.
As you said you don't know when he was taken off of the mare. Possibly to young. I would only worry about the electrolytes if you think that he isnt drinking enough water, but the junior foods have minerals and salts mixed in so I would watch after also and see if his water drinking picks up after the change over from the sweetfeed to the junior. Most water buckets have the measuring on the inside so that you have a clue on how much his intake is when he is in his stall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he is doing good with the water that he drinks that is not a problem i was just not sure about his feed
now how long should i keep him on the junior feed ?
and just so i know how much water should he be going though a day
what is the best hay i can give him i know they have many different kinds just want to make sure he is getting the best he can get
that i know of he has been off the mare about 2 months now from what we were told
i just want to make sure his growth is not messed up

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Can you five him grass hay and alfalfa? Maybe grass hay all the time and a 1/2 a flake of alfalfa in the am and the other 1/2 in the pm and do that for a while till you can up it. I would also talk to your vet ... They can help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i would personally reccomend LMF Development instead of Purina equine junior (i haven't had good luck with purina feeds being consistent)...and alfalfa at least twice a day...good luck with him!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all i hope everything goes well he is doing good today let us put a halter on him with little to no problem so that is a good step in the right direction :) he is just stand offish for now but that is soon to change with all the love that we have to give gets stronger by the day

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
okay stay away from purina if you can - it's bad bad bad.

as for feed, he needs a 14% - 16% protein content for growth. be VERY CAREFUL of alfalfa as it has a high calcium content that can cause OCD and other bone issues such as rickets in growing weanlings.

most importantly you want a moderate fat (6 - 8%) and higher protein (14 - 16%) content in your feed in a high quality fixed formula ration. blue seal is good, legends and pennfields are better. nutrena is moderate. purina i wouldn't feed my horses if you paid me. buckeye is AMAZING but very expensive and very hard to find.

point is there are a lot of options - do your research and figure out what is available in your area, works for your budget, and is good for your horse.

as for supps, a young horse shouldn't need too much but i do like red cell for rescues as it will help with rbc and boosting the immune system. stay away from hoof supps unless there is a specific issue to address as they can cause too fast hoof growth which also affects joint development and limb conformation in their growth years. for more supp advice you can ask terry of equisupps.com she is great.

good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok we have him on a small amount of 9 % sweet feed with some race horse oats he has a fresh bale of alicia hay that is about all you can find right now here and we put some vitamin and electolytes in his water

·
Registered
344 Posts
CJ, why is Purina bad? Is it just the young horse feed? Gunner eats the Purina Equine Senior...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
CJ, why is Purina bad? Is it just the young horse feed? Gunner eats the Purina Equine Senior...
its not a fixed formula feed meaning the actual amounts of the ingredients may change week to week based on what is avail/cheapest. also the conditions of their mills are quite poor.

i prefer a blue seal or triple crown whenever possible.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
ok we have him on a small amount of 9 % sweet feed with some race horse oats he has a fresh bale of alicia hay that is about all you can find right now here and we put some vitamin and electolytes in his water
9% is NOT enough protein for a growing horse. we're actually rehabbing rescue horses with protein deficiency which can lead to hind end ataxia - and was to that point in some horses in this case.

i can not stress enough you need a 14 - 16% protein feed, and they need grass/timothy hay. why are you giving electrolytes? if not necessary electrolytes can actually overtax the kidneys and cause electrolyte poisoning. i would not recommend electrolytes in horses unless they are not drinking enough or are in heavy work in extreme conditions.

please consult a local vet or nutritionist as i'm concerned what you are feeding may cause more harm than good....

·
Registered
2,292 Posts

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
its not a fixed formula feed meaning the actual amounts of the ingredients may change week to week based on what is avail/cheapest. also the conditions of their mills are quite poor.
Do you have documentation?

For the record - we feed Nutrena. But I do not like to see broad negative statements. The large manufacturers have regional facilities to help keep costs down. Our Nurtrena rep has invited us to visit and tour the plant that makes our feed. I'm willing to be Purina would offer the same invitation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.