Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Help would be appreciated.
I am doing light work with my yearling. He does great for me except when we are going to and from the barn which is a long walk through the grass. All he wants to do is stop and eat grass like it's his last meal. What can I do to keep him moving?

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I carry a dressage whip with me when I lead my yearling around. He is brilliant off halter pressure, so I very rarely need to actually use the whip, but it is there to back me up if the need arises.
Don't let him stop, is the first thing I would suggest! As soon as he goes to stop, ask him to move off again with a touch of the halter. If he won't move, then a flick on the backside with the dressage whip seems to work like an electric prod with yearlings!
Allowing him to stop and eat now, will eventually turn into him stopping or walking all over you even when there is no grass around. Nip it in the bud now to avoid bigger problems later.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I am haaving the same problem. My horse acts like this and its difficult to pull his head up when hes ripping grass up like no tomorrow. And I've noticed a few of my friends if i get them to hold him for me they let him graze while tacked up so I've decided that from now on hes my responsibility and someone else will have to change the poles as I refuse to let him eat while having any tack on. I went to this trail ride place and the horses are allowed to graze so everytime we stopped their heads would go flying down and u could not pull them up they were so ignorant i was furious riding them horses theyd had so many kids on them that let them do it there was no way in hell you were going to get their head up until the group moved on. So my only tip, dont ever let him graze in his tack at all or it will get harder to get him to stop. I really hate horses that are allowed to graze, its so disrespctful

·
Registered
868 Posts
Honestly, if I am leading a horse and he puts his head down to eat, wont move, etc, I either use my foot or my whip. I put my foot right in their face (not kicking, but nudging for sure). It usually has enough effect that they raise their heads. If I use a whip, I tap them on the rear to get them to move their butt. Oh and a good hard yank with a rope halter usually gets their attention.

Reactions: Ellie Bramel

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is also one of the few situation where I would (temporarily) use a chain over the nose. If the horse is dragging you, that can turn extremely dangerous in certain situations, especiallyas he grows up into a full size horse! Having that leverage of the chain will help keep him from being able to drag you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
my draft horse does this and id imagine its bec she is so big and strong everyone just let her do it prior, i put my foot under her mouth and pull her up and if that dont work i tap her with the tail on the lead rope and when that dont work i make her "work". shes learning. i dont let anyone lead her but me bec she will and know shes strong enough if you arent forcefull enough. consistancy consistancy!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I agree, you need to stop the action before he actually does it; if you know he's going to go for that spot every time, then be prepared to give his lead rope a bump when you get there. So when you feel him starting to nudge his head down, you give him a good bump on that lead, and get his head around...swing your lead at his rear, or like Kayty mentioned carry a crop and give him a tap at the same time, so he knows you mean business.

If he beats you to it...Don't simply pull on the lead, give him rhythmic tugs. And use your lead, or crop on his side or rear to get him to shift away. If you are using a nylon halter to work him in, I suggest you either get a good fitting rope halter, since he will find it harder to lean on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
First stop in a patch of grass and do not let him eat even it it takes you a couple of hours of saying no! be persistant and do not give in. Make sure you have the time to spend on this exercise. I've done this with ginger. she got the message. Once she is on the lead rope she is working and that is the hard fast rule!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.