The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago we got three new horses from someone who didn’t want them anymore. One of them twister was clearly abused in the past and I’ve been working on gaining his trust, but lately our existing horse brownie has been chasing him away from me. She’s top of the pecking order and my family seems convinced that it’s won’t stop. Will brownie eventually calm down? She seems fine with the new mare, but with twister and the other gelding she chases them not only away from me but also their feed buckets. I don’t think brownie has ever been with geldings in her life. Will she eventually get over this or well we have to end up separating them?

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
From your post it seems Brownie is not only top of the herd packing order but she is also top of you.

No horse I had would dream of chasing off another horse I was giving attention to.

When she comes near you with the intent of chasing the other horse away, you need to chase her away and mean it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I also have this problem when I see my mare in the field. She's top but the herd is mixed weekly and there are two others that get really pushy. There are around 15 horses at anytime in the same field 20 or 40 acres respectively. I have to take a stick or a rope and whenever one threatens to chase her off or even go for me! (coz they think I have treats) they get a warning and then a whack. I aggressively chase them as well and my mare will run off too, even though its not directed at her. I will re-invite her into my company and repeat. These days she knows not to interfere and that I am chasing other horses off NOT her. If she tries any bad behaviour herself towards another horse I will also make it very clear that is not allowed. It needed endless repetition for months but they know the deal now. I'm there to see her, not mess around.

As for feeding the various places I've been to where feeding is in the field or "open" it is seriously managed. No horse is allowed to chase another off their feed and some humans will even guard the horse (with one geriatric, that meant using a rake against a serious aggressor who was fine without food around). I have never managed a herd personally others will come along. I would be concerned though if she was constantly chasing him around and stress/weight issues if it didn't calm down. Is there enough grass/hay provided etc? By grass they dont eat everything. Plenty lush green fields around that I've seen horses refuse to eat either coz its yucky or they recognise it for it's poison etc.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
I agree with @Foxhunter. This isn't something I wanted to believe at first, but a horse that chases another horse away from you is not only expressing its belief that it is the boss of that other horse, it's also expressing its belief that it's the boss of you. I don't know why exactly this is expressed this way, but it's been my experience. You need to not let Brownie chase the other horse away from you. If you are sure enough of yourself and of your horses, this would mean stepping between them and actually chasing Brownie away. This is what I did with my little herd. But the herd boss, Teddy, was a horse who actually really wanted me to be his boss, so it didn't take much to get him to stop, and he didn't really offer any serious aggression toward me.

I would also separate them for feeding if at all possible.

Generally they will learn to get along after a while.

Reactions: JCnGrace

·
Registered
99 Posts
You have gotten some good advice here. Brownie thinks she is not only the boss of the other horses, but the boss of you. You need to nip this in the bud. The advice above is spot on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.