The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello horse world ! Lol this is so exciting, anywho, to get to the point, I was curious on what some serious barrel racers thoughts were on treeless saddles.

Most of my barrel friends like the old fashion sturdy tree saddles, circle y's and stuff.

HOWEVER, I love my horse too much and all this yip yap on how wonderful a treeless saddle could be on your horses back has got me thinking that my boy needs a treeless.

I would jump right on it it, but I also want to run him in barrels (small time, im no pro).

Question is (or questions*): Are there any good brands that wont put a hole in my pocket? Will a treeless saddle still give me the support I need coming onto and off of barrels? Do they hold up well? Any other info would be greatly appreciated !

THANK YOU EVERYONE :grin:

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

From people I have known and talked to, treeless is a saddle you either love or hate, the good ones are very expensive.

But per reviews on horse tack and dozens of other people, the one brand to stay away from is Hilason

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank god you said that ! Halison was what ive been looking at . I'm definitely not into expensive. but i would like to get a treeless, if there is a good brand that makes barrel saddles. im just wondering if a treeless saddle is any good for barrel racing. I dont want it to fall apart on me.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

Bob Marshal is the only brand I can remeber anyone ever talking about using in barrel racing, other general recommended brands I have been told are good are Freeform and Barefoot.
I understand a special pad is also needed.

I have never seen one in person, but looking at the pics I wonder myself how the hold up long term in Barrel Racing.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Well, if you plan on barrel racing in a treeless saddle, be prepared for the possibility of spending some time in Emergency. The shape of the tree helps anchor the saddle from side to side movement. A horse with decent withers will better control roll than a mutton-withered horse. These are glorified bareback pads that falsely make the rider feel more secure. It's foolish to use the stirrups on a bareback pad for the same reasons.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, i looked at treeless and barefoot. very nice saddles, but a bit too nice lol. i wouldnt want ruin anything like that, especially for that expense . I will look into the bob marshall ones. Thank you !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, i guess i change my mind. People have been using regular saddles forever. i"ll get a good saddle pad to help him be more comfortable.

However, can either of you give me some tips on how to figure out if a saddle fits properly ?

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
Thanks guys, i guess i change my mind. People have been using regular saddles forever. i"ll get a good saddle pad to help him be more comfortable.

However, can either of you give me some tips on how to figure out if a saddle fits properly ?
If you have the saddle, place it on your Horse without a pad and lightly cinched, take some pics and post them.

If you do not have a saddle yet, I use Templates to test for fit, you can message me and send email addy, I can send them.

To select the best estimate of what to send, need to know breed, age and height in hands, a pic of topline would be nice too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.