The Horse Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Obviously everyone who has horses now probably named their stuffed ponies and models when they were kids... those names where probably something like princess or buddy and there's nothing wrong with those names of course but now they seem a bit... childish for a real horse. since I'm no longer naming stuffed horses and breyers I'm looking for more catchy, beautiful, meaningful names for just as beautiful and meaningful animals. Preferably ones that can be shortened into just as catchy nicknames. Please leave as many suggestions as you like. Thanks!!

Registered
For real horses or for toys?

Registered
Willow
Opal
Ollie
Abracadabra
Xena
Hera
Athena
Crystal
Pumpkin
Blueberry
Ivy
Lyla
Milly
Sapphire
Milestone(Milo)
Nara
Zelda

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I was waiting for suggestions I made a list of names I like the sound of. Maybe this will give an idea of what kind of names I like lol:

Witch
Shiver
Wrath
Mirage
Fatigue (cos Tigue is a cute nickname)
Elsewhere
Crow
Silence
Grim
Ever
Spider
Sentinel
Hysteria
Hell Cat
Cinder
Omen
Raven
Flight
Never
Sparrow
Ghost
Exxus
Wonder
Riverstone
Flicker

All of these names are kinda darkish and/or weird but that's the kind of names I like lol
Thanks for all of your comments so far!

Registered
I like human names for horses. I think it gives them a lot of personality. I'm also probably in the minority in thinking the common names have some charm to them. There's probably millions of horses called something like Jack but it's kind of sweet to me that there's lots of other people that might have "a Jack" or a Fred or something. I guess the closest I can describe it is a sort of sentimentality. I just find it very endearing when people give their animals "human names". On the other hand I find it adorable when they're given kind of silly names like Sprinkles or Cookie especially if the horse's personality is directly opposite what you'd expect something called Sprinkles to be. I usually just call them by whatever they were called by before though.

Registered
While I was waiting for suggestions I made a list of names I like the sound of. Maybe this will give an idea of what kind of names I like lol:

Witch
Shiver
Wrath
Mirage
Fatigue (cos Tigue is a cute nickname)
Elsewhere
Crow
Silence
Grim
Ever
Spider
Sentinel
Hysteria
Hell Cat
Cinder
Omen
Raven
Flight
Never
Sparrow
Ghost
Exxus
Wonder
Riverstone
Flicker

All of these names are kinda darkish and/or weird but that's the kind of names I like lol
Thanks for all of your comments so far!
Rather than Witch, how about Wicca? It flows better.
I do love Mirage.
I鈥檝e always loved the name Gypsy; it was the name of my late soul cat and familiar.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rather than Witch, how about Wicca? It flows better.
I do love Mirage.
I鈥檝e always loved the name Gypsy; it was the name of my late soul cat and familiar.
I do like the name Wicca. And the name Gypsy. The name Witch actually came from a book series I read as a child. She was a black quarter horse mare with an attitude and a mohawk!!! :D she was my favourite horse out of all the books and if I ever got a horse that looked like her I'd absolutely would have to name her witch.

Registered
What names did your horses come with ? I take it you are talking you got some new real , flesh and blood horses ? I would never name my horse any name with a negative or dark meaning. I usually leave a horse its name that it came with. THey know that name. The only time I change a name is if it is Val. I Do not like that name. I would change it to Pal . I had a horse we named Buddy. (his name was Danny) when I got him, but it confused my great neice , she thought we were talking about an Uncle. lol. The horse responded to Buddy. Sure do miss him.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What names did your horses come with ? I take it you are talking you got some new real , flesh and blood horses ? I would never name my horse any name with a negative or dark meaning. I usually leave a horse its name that it came with. THey know that name. The only time I change a name is if it is Val. I Do not like that name. I would change it to Pal . I had a horse we named Buddy. (his name was Danany) when I got him, but it confused my great neice , she thought we were talking about an Uncle. lol. The horse responded to Buddy. Sure do miss him.
They don't have names yet. I'm sure they did when they were first born and sold but the people that we're buying them from just call them mare and bay :/ and I like the darkish names because they mean things to me and they have feeling. I'd like my horse's name to mean something to me and to have feeling. Also yes I got real flesh and blood horses everyone thinks I'm talking about toys lol 馃槀 I'm way to old for that now.

Registered
Heres my list
Ash
Stella
Cyprus
Emerald
Jet
Blaze
Sky
Night star
Bailey
Saffire
Ruby
Tex
Morgan
Zeus
Misty
Cloud
Sunny
Daisy
Bounty
Hunter
Tilda
Gilda

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello I've updated my list!

Tempest (storm)
Aura
Cirrus (type of cloud)
Echo
Sonder
Serein
Seraphim
Saorsa
Dai
Amar
Noori
Juno
Avian
Indigo
Blackbird
Shade
Vendetta

Thanks for your comments so far and let me know if you're like to see what names I've narrowed it down to for my mare!! :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Horse Sky Plant Working animal Tree

Finally got a pic of her... She's a bit skinny because I bought her from some inexperienced owners but maybe that will help you guys with name suggestions?

I narrowed it down to Blackbird, Saorsa, Indigo, Shade, Vendetta and Tempest as my favourites but any names you have are still welcome :D

Registered
View attachment 1117841
Finally got a pic of her... She's a bit skinny because I bought her from some inexperienced owners but maybe that will help you guys with name suggestions?

I narrowed it down to Blackbird, Saorsa, Indigo, Shade, Vendetta and Tempest as my favourites but any names you have are still welcome :D
She will be cute filled out. I would call her Shady Sadie ! lol.

Registered
Does she cough any ? If she does, have her checked for heaves. She does look to have had a foal or two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts