The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, Beau(gray OTTB gelding) and Epona(Belgian draft mare) have been gradually increased in their grazing time to five hours. ...that is the maximum grazing time we planned on giving them. The rest of the time they are on dry lot. Epona develops loose bowels while on and directly after coming off grass time. Some sites say this is normal and nothing to worry about, others say it is an early warning sign of trouble ahead. Opinions wanted.

Secondly, I'd like opinions on Beau's weight. You can comment on Epona's also if you don't mind stating the obvious.
Our farrier says Beau's weight is fine. I think he looks a bit fat...and I can swear I feel a bit of a crease developing on his back. I'm too short to see up there , but it feels like one is starting. May need to get a step stool and check it out. When we got him, his body score was a middle 2...but now I think he's TOO plump. For a TB anyhow. I have no idea how a TB should look as I'm so used to seeing fatty Epona...our farrier says he's fine. I'm not so sure. We may need to adjust his diet which currently is: free choice hay, used to be five hours of grazing,( now being adjusted down to 2 due to possible fatness), 2 scoops Cool Calories, 2.5 lbs strategy, 1 lb alfalfa cubes, a probiotic supplement and Smart Bug Off supplement.

I think he's a bit overweight for a TB, personally. Check out this video of him and Epona and let me know what you think ....Please watch the whole video so you can see him up close near the middle/end. He looks skinny from farther away, I look skinny from far away..lol. There is a good close up of him near the end, so you can see how fat he really is.....or not.

As a sidenote: It was no surprise to us that Beau loved the pond, the surprise came at the end of the video. Scared Of My Own Tail Epona going into that water was such a shock. And look at how Beau taught her to paw at it to splash herself. Also notice how Beau kept pulling at the lead line, wanting to go in deeper and Jared trying to pull him back...should we let him do it? Should we just let him go the whole way in, it's about six feet deep...approx.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I think he looks fine IMO. I can't tell much though. Looks like they were having a whole ton of fun though, especially beau

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think he looks great, my tb is too skinny, very hard keeper :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
723 Posts
He looks fine to me. Is there not a way to cut down on his hard feed and increase his grazing? That way he would have more time to have fun as a horse and do what's natural, but not get fat :)
They're both lovely horses, btw. As for the pond, I would let him go for it :D Maybe hook him up to a lungeline, so you still have some control, but he can go far in without you getting wet!
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
In reference to the OTTB: I think he's a little thick...if it were muscle I wouldn't worry about his condition too much...but I'm pretty sure by his shape it's probably fat :wink:

If he were my horse I'd stop the cool calories completely - that stuff is 100% fat, and it doesn't look like he needs any additional fat. It appears to me he's got fat deposits in all the 'right' places.

What type of pasture do you have? If it's moderate-good grass grazing, I'd probably leave him on that for the whole 5 hours. If you have something like timothy or alfalfa in your fields, I'd probably restrict the t/o a bit. Of course, if you wanted him out for the benefit of movement, a grazing muzzle does wonders :)

Just from looking at the video, I'd say he's about a 6/9 on the Henneke scale: Henneke Body Scoring. If he were my horse, this is the way I'd want him to be before heading into winter.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts