The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having a weanling shipped literally from coast to coast in the early August time frame and since it’s so far and he’s so young I have a question: Would it be best to have my vet check him out upon arrival or just at earliest convenience afterward? I figured I’d have my vet check him out anyway some time after he arrived but I’ve never shipped a weanling cross country before so I am a little worried.

Also I’m still looking for a shipper so if anyone has any recommendations please feel free to mention them or dm them to me!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would have the Vet come after arrival as opposed to upon arrival. Unless he seems ill, I think waiting would be ok. Give him time to relax and get his bearings. I've used Equine Express and they were fantastic--not sure how often they do the East Coast. Perry Transport is great too, not sure how far west their range goes though. But both places very professional and considerate of the horse's health and well-being. So maybe worth looking into. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
Early August is a GREAT time to ship a weanling cross country- No it is NOT

IMHO you might want to be a “lot worried” as opposed to a “little worried”.

I would delay the move u til the weather cools down but before freezing weather sets in.

Who hauls the weanling is going to make all the difference in the world, regarding it’s health and safety at the end of the trip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Early August is a GREAT time to ship a weanling cross country- No it is NOT

IMHO you might want to be a “lot worried” as opposed to a “little worried”.

I would delay the move u til the weather cools down but before freezing weather sets in.

Who hauls the weanling is going to make all the difference in the world, regarding it’s health and safety at the end of the trip.
That being said is also making an impression to any and all future trips short or long and esp when it comes to loading into a trailer. DO your research/take your time, ask them lots of questions as no question to dumb. This is your baby, advocate for him!

I agree be more worried than not!

Reactions: walkinthewalk
1 - 6 of 6 Posts