The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I came across someone who has quite a few horses. She now is older, and can't take care of them all. She has a 2 1/2 yr old QH filly she wasn't planning on selling, but would consider it to the right people.
She is not broke, just broke to halter. She is 'in your pocket' and very friendly.

I need some advice on what to look for in a young horse. Conformation, all that. I know the health part, but don't know too much beyond this. Any advice you can give will help. (And pictures of examples if you're talking about conformation, as I'm new to that.)

I have never broken/trained a horse completely from scratch. I have excellent mentors that would help me, and I am willing to send her to a trainer if needed.
I'm still unsure if I should tackle this.
I just can't seem to find a horse to suit my needs, and if I could train (or partially train) a horse myself, it would be an amazing experience.
Any advice would be great. Please be blunt with me, I want your full opinion.
Thank you.

Super Moderator
What you see is what you get to mold mentally into the horse you desire.

The physical stuff...well, she is what she is and she should be exhibiting some traits of handiness in what you want.
Her lineage, should also give clue to what she as a offspring of did/do when ridden, so she should have some exposure to that when others are ridden by the same people.
At 2 1/2 she should be more than just halter broke imo....no , not weight carrying but she can have a lot of ground work well underway and can be ponied to give her exposure to more of the world she will live in when trained.

As for you being the one to train....
You are not a newbie to horses and know what training you like on a animal and what you not like...most bundle this to horse manners.
With over-seen by a true trainer, not someone who rides decent, but trainers teach the little things us riders enjoy having our horses do but need taught, we just not realize that step is in the mix....there is a difference.
Sometimes taking a young horse with minimal handling and trusting a trainer to start the educational process is the way to go...sometimes doing it ourselves is better and then going to that specially selected someone to put first rides and instruction astride makes sense..
It is often the animal and how they respond to their education that decides you to being first to swing astride or let another.
It is often not the first ride that is the interesting one, but many times I saw it was the third through sixth that made my back ache as the observer...till you have many in succession astrides game is on for broncing...

Just some of what I have observed working with young horses but not training them.... I am no trainer, period!
For me, molding the innocent mind is where it starts. A good mind is what you not want to waste or allow screw-up on.
馃惔

Premium Member
I think it鈥檚 a good idea. You have the help, and you鈥檇 learn a whole lot. There is the risk of the horse not turning out to be what you hope for, but you can always sell it on.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much money is she asking for a halter broke 2 1/2 year old that's otherwise not been handled?
Not sure yet. She just wants her to be trained by someone, and if its to the right home she doesn't want much for her.
She could be handled beyond that, I just don't know yet. The lady is sick at the moment so I didn't get too much info yet.

Registered
Not sure yet. She just wants her to be trained by someone, and if its to the right home she doesn't want much for her.
She could be handled beyond that, I just don't know yet. The lady is sick at the moment so I didn't get too much info yet.
Come back when you have the info. Reason I'm saying that is because, depending on how much she wants would determine how much I'd spend on examining the horse. My rule of thumb is, if I could recoup what I paid to buy her if she didn't work out, then I'd just buy her. So, if she's bred well, bloodlines in demand, registered, papers in hand, and turned up lame and I could sell her for the same or more as a broodmare, I'd skip a PPE. No papers but cute, and let's face it, color sells, not too much money, then a basic PPE. Personality isn't too wild child, even if she's not been handled, if the price wasn't bad, I might take a chance, but she's coming to the age where I draw the line because she's getting big enough that if she's a fighter, I don't want to deal with her.

If you can send some pics I'll tell you if I see anything that makes me go, "EWWWW NO" or "Oh, YEAH, she's cute!" but if the lady's sick, you might not get those before you can buy. She may have 4 legs all pointing the right direction. No obvious humps in her back (deformities), probably a little butt high because she's still growing, how's her head? Cute? Jughead? Worse? Suitcase Head? Ears? Donkey or Mare? Feet? Eyes? Teeth? Parrot or Monkey bite? Those are the basics.

I'm assuming she's stock bred, so I would want to know her pedigree and her 6 panel test results, specifically HYPP, HERDA & PSSM. HYPP N/H is an automatic walk away for me, HERDA result of N/HRD is a warning for breeding, PSSM is up to you whether you would want to try to manage it or not. It varies widely in how much a horse is affected.

Premium Member
Without her standing still I can鈥檛 see any glaring faults. Something about her looks older than 2.5, but my filly has such a different look, as does my dad鈥檚 colt. She looks maybe a little under nourished to me, but then again she is young, and I鈥檓 not even really sure she does look thin鈥 it鈥檚 hard to see in these pics. I love the mane though!

Reactions: lovetolope

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Without her standing still I can鈥檛 see any glaring faults. Something about her looks older than 2.5, but my filly has such a different look, as does my dad鈥檚 colt. She looks maybe a little under nourished to me, but then again she is young, and I鈥檓 not even really sure she does look thin鈥 it鈥檚 hard to see in these pics. I love the mane though!
Yes, I thought the same. I'm going to meet her before I decide anything, and my vet is coming with me. He's extremely knowledgeable and I trust him 100%. We went to look at the last horse, he told me no, not a good idea. One look and he knew she'd never be able to perform well.

Registered
I can't tell much conformation wise but she's a cute mare. She looks older than 2.5 to me too, but really, what do I know from a picture? Just based on the pics, I don't really see under nourished but under fitted. She's still growing so she'll be akward looking for a while yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts