The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I came across someone who has quite a few horses. She now is older, and can't take care of them all. She has a 2 1/2 yr old QH filly she wasn't planning on selling, but would consider it to the right people.
She is not broke, just broke to halter. She is 'in your pocket' and very friendly.

I need some advice on what to look for in a young horse. Conformation, all that. I know the health part, but don't know too much beyond this. Any advice you can give will help. (And pictures of examples if you're talking about conformation, as I'm new to that.)

I have never broken/trained a horse completely from scratch. I have excellent mentors that would help me, and I am willing to send her to a trainer if needed.
I'm still unsure if I should tackle this.
I just can't seem to find a horse to suit my needs, and if I could train (or partially train) a horse myself, it would be an amazing experience.
Any advice would be great. Please be blunt with me, I want your full opinion.
Thank you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much money is she asking for a halter broke 2 1/2 year old that's otherwise not been handled?
Not sure yet. She just wants her to be trained by someone, and if its to the right home she doesn't want much for her.
She could be handled beyond that, I just don't know yet. The lady is sick at the moment so I didn't get too much info yet.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Without her standing still I can’t see any glaring faults. Something about her looks older than 2.5, but my filly has such a different look, as does my dad’s colt. She looks maybe a little under nourished to me, but then again she is young, and I’m not even really sure she does look thin… it’s hard to see in these pics. I love the mane though!
Yes, I thought the same. I'm going to meet her before I decide anything, and my vet is coming with me. He's extremely knowledgeable and I trust him 100%. We went to look at the last horse, he told me no, not a good idea. One look and he knew she'd never be able to perform well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts