The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare Cally has within the past couple of weeks gotten some funky muscling going on as well as "lameness" of a sort... Just kinda need some thoughts on what it could be.

Nov. 21st I pulled her front shoes & pads. Nothing special about the pads (just normal flat pads) & the shoes were the kind with the clips on the side. They were seriously messing up the quality of her hoof though & we decided to give them a break. If she desperately needed them back on - no big deal they would go back on. She was a little sore for a couple of days then no problems. My sister rode her a few times in the following week - no issues.

Then Dec 3rd I offer to let my BM use Cally in some of her lessons with the little girls. I hadn't really looked her over since we were in a rush. Now this mare always trips. Every time I ride her. She's done it since I got her. After the first girl is done riding (approx. 30 min lesson mostly with walk/trot & two canter laps) another gal hops on. Now up until Nov 17th I had been riding her every day, pretty hard, trying to get lead changes down - much harder than either of these girls rode. Anyway, towards the end of the second lesson her back end looks like it's drunk. She starts crossing her right leg over her left and seems to lose balance. She's doing this at a walk, it's even worse when she trots. After the girls gets off I notice the point of her butt (by the tail) looks swollen & her butt muscle on top looks shoved down. When I lunge her after and ask her to GO she doesn't do any of the drunkenness. Cue me freaking out.

I left her inside & buted her for a few days, just did hand walks. She's been turned out as normal in the pasture since probably the 8th? No issues. She walks on the uneven ground fine, she's even kicked out at the other mares (big buck/kick combo) without showing unbalance issues. Friday night when I trotted her bareback I still felt like she was crossing in the back weird & she's still been swollen on that butt point (it looks like it has gone down though) and sometimes the muscle looks dropped worse some days than others. But today I free trotted her in the arena - no problems. She was a little stiff but I expect that with a 16yo with some arthritis.

Before I even talked to the vet I was worried this could be a neuro issue. She's never had problems with her weight, but I'm having a hell of a time getting it back up (all my mares dropped weight when moving to this new barn - Dani is looking great now, Lily still had issues because she was in the herd & didn't always get to eat her portion of hay {but she's gone now so yey!}). My grandpa & farrier both say her weight looks good, but I feel like she's still too lean for my tastes. When I was getting her ready for the horse show she did put on some muscle and was looking MUCH fitter. She's basically had a "retirement" type home with me. Went from working 1hr 5 days a week to maybe getting rode 3 - 4 times for 30mins. So I expected some muscle loss in tone. She does require hock injections yearly. She was injected this year in March.

I have talked to the vet and she thinks it could possibly be some Neuro. She isn't ruling out the potential for it to be osteoarthritis, trauma, soreness etc. I did take pictures but you can't really tell anything from them except maybe the slight swelling to her butt point. So anyone else wanna chime in? The vet WILL be coming out btw. I just need some ideas.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.