The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a saddle for my Arab gelding, but I can't seem to find a tack shop close by where they sell English saddles. When it comes to saddle fitting I have no clue where to start so I could use the guidance I could get from someone more experienced. Could anyone tell me about some good tack shops around Nashville? Even into Kentucky isn't too far. Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, you're way out of my area, but if over there is anything like here in Idaho, then you'll have your work cut out for you finding English tack.

My area is also primarily Western, and you might luck out finding a racing tack shop, which will have English. If Kentucky isn't too far, you could check Yelllowpages.com for a tack store that caters to racehorse riders/breeders. Chances are they would have something Arab -sized.

I eventually had to order my saddle offline, and lucked out when it fit me and my mare okay :) The English accessories though (Stirrups, bits, etc) I was able to buy at a local tack store that sold racing tack :)

As for fitting: correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Arabians generally have a wider gullet for there size, so you'd be looking at something with mid-width. You can measure across the withers of your horse to get the gullet width, and compare it to the saddle you are looking at (if you find some! :)) there is a decent margin of error--saddles are meant to be compatible to different horses so a ballpark figure should do fine unless your horse is particularly funny-shaped.

If you end up ordering (which isn't neccessarily a bad thing) just make sure to ask lots of questions and get lots of pictures and measurements :)

That being said, good luck! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.