The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11:00pm, gunfire next door. Okay, horses handled it okay, though I was concerned about the ice in Misty's paddock and her getting panicky, she was ok.

2:00am (same evening) gunfire again, and now yelling and someone tearing around on an ATV. Checking on the horses by way of the sliding door, both seemed okay, though Misty's head was quite high.

What's the etiquette on this. Should I send a thank-you note for aiding in their desensitizing? Or next time return the gunfire! :p

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
How often does this happen?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How often does this happen?
Posted via Mobile Device
First time in the evening. Usually random gunfire and firecrackers during the day no specific times. Was standing near Misty one day just rubbing her and BAM a gun was fired. Poor thing almost jumped out of her skin, but fortunately didn't jump onto me!

We've been working with her on gunfire and she's handling it pretty well. I think I was affected by the gunfire because of the lateness of it. I mean, 11 and 2! WOW!

Plus my barn is close to where the neighbors house is (all wooded so you can't actually see it).

·
Registered
729 Posts
The neighbors help me desensitize my horses all the time. Even though we live in the country, there are houses lined up down the road (Unfortunately!) and the neighbors on both sides like to shoot their guns. It doesn't bother me that much (and there's nothing I can do about it even if it did bother me), though I would prefer they didn't do it while I ride, just in case Romeo decides gunshots are the scariest thing ever. What got me going is when I found an arrow in my pasture (!!!!) and golf balls (the kid next door decided his lawn was a golf course). Haha, but the neighbors have stopped golfing so that's good :D

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tiny, we are too far out to bother call the state troopers and there are coyotes around so you do hear gunfire at times (though never that late or close). His house is about 400 yards away, closer to my barn actually, and we have a thick buffer of woods.

He's a young man, around 23 and his family are a very prominent dairy farm family. Love his grandfather and am friendly with his aunt and father and uncle. I suspect someone called at the main farm because after the 2 am ruckus, a van popped up and all was quiet and has been since. This happened a few nights ago.

I'm thinking of making some of my prized blueberry muffins and stopping by to give them to him. He's always been very polite and courteous to me. Then I'll ask if he was awoken by all the commotion like I was. At least that's what I'm thinking of doing. Hubby wants me to just leave it be.......for now.

Reactions: KigerQueen

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poundinghooves, part of me feels it will do the horses (Walka is actually fine with it all) good. I've been caught on the trail before when someone started firing a rifle. It's always better to get them accustomed before something like that happens, and I do that at home with all calibers I can.

I think finding an arrow in my field would have upset me at the whys and possibilities of what could have been.

Around here most everyone is very considerate and respectful. I think the young man is just feeling his oats and used poor judgement. I believe a family member took care of it. Hopefully he will be more considerate in the future, as he has been fine until that evening.

Reactions: poundinghooves

·
Registered
729 Posts
Tiny, we are too far out to bother call the state troopers and there are coyotes around so you do hear gunfire at times (though never that late or close).
Yep, we're not all that "far out" but no one calls the police about stuff like that around here.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Our boarding barn is about 2 miles across the woods from a firearms manufacturing facility with a large test range! I believe they make some sort of machine guns that allow you to shoot a zillion rounds at once (you can tell I am not a gun person, ha! :))

I've never been to a warzone, but some days it sounds like there are cannons firing back there through the woods- the noise is incredible.

The horses could care less- they don't even lift their heads since it's just a part of their world at this point. I would personally be really annoyed if there was that much shooting close to my house...there is some, it's pretty rural here, but nothing like it would be if we were living next to the test range!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
LOL in the spring I play sound effects for my horses, got every sound imaginable! I'm sure the neighbors wonder what the heck is going on here sometimes LOL but it makes for a much more relaxed and not spooky horse.....

As for the shooting, I would just make sure they weren't aiming in the direction of your horses, not meaning they would shoot them but bullets travel far and I would hate for one to get shot by accident!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Around here most everyone is very considerate and respectful. I think the young man is just feeling his oats and used poor judgement. I believe a family member took care of it. Hopefully he will be more considerate in the future, as he has been fine until that evening.
His house is about 400 yards away, closer to my barn actually, and we have a thick buffer of woods.
Hopefully the family handled it. We live in a very rural area and gun fire is common, too. Everyone knows there are horses and cattle throughout the area, but to be honest, "just feeling his oats and used poor judgement" folks are the ones you need to worry about the most. Even with trees, 400 yards is nothing to a bullet, and it only takes one to change the way you view things.
Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm from Australia.... If someone fires a gun police are then within minuets unless your in the middle of the outback ..... But still ....
Seems scary to me!

But hey at least your horse won't be frightened of any noise! 😜😄
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Im glad my mare dose not bolt when spooked (if she dose its 3 yards) so gunshots don't bother her. I always carry a gun with me on long trail rides (Yay arizona's lack of strict gun laws) Its more for dogs and crazy people though. I would be worried though if i was in your area hearing gunshots that late. I hear gunshots weekly but then again the ghetto is slowly migrating to my area (Sadly) so i just get to listen to the music of a zillion sirens at all hours of the night -_-'.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gunfire is not uncommon out here. I can usually tell you what is in season depending on the time of the gunfire the month and the direction. Coming from the fields down the road, yup **** hunting. From the pond and lake further away and early morning, yup duck season. Night time shots way out into the woods most likely coyote hunt happening. Of course deer season around here is a given for gunfire, but it's not a powpowpowpow. Usually one shot and a slight hesitation and maybe another if the first didn't drop the deer.

The young man has been quiet since that night. He built the house about a year and a half ago, so hasn't been there too long. His aunt had told me that he had a drug and alcohol addiction a few years back. He completed rehab and also attends meetings. I just hope he didn't slip. That along with guns will really give me worry. Hoping for the best, but keeping my ears and eyes open. I may "run into" his aunt (she is a cook at a local breakfast/lunch place out here) and ask if all is okay.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
More than likely he is drinking or drugging and one of these fun times he may accidentally shoot one of your horses, or even you.

I'd be talking to his family about this. If they can't get it stopped? I'd be talking to sheriff.

First place it is too late to be pulling this. Second place it is dangerous.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
11:00pm, gunfire next door. Okay, horses handled it okay, though I was concerned about the ice in Misty's paddock and her getting panicky, she was ok.

2:00am (same evening) gunfire again, and now yelling and someone tearing around on an ATV. Checking on the horses by way of the sliding door, both seemed okay, though Misty's head was quite high.

What's the etiquette on this. Should I send a thank-you note for aiding in their desensitizing? Or next time return the gunfire! :p
I wouldn't. They might send you a training bill, LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.