The Horse Forum banner

Have you lost your boots in deep mud?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like this is common sense that I should have. Basically what happened was I wore rain boots that had small holes in them to the barn -- they were small enough that you couldn't see them, but water would still get in -- I got into a ditch, got stuck in up to my knees, then I had to leave them in the mud. My trainer said she would go dig them out, bring them home and wash them, but I don't think they'll survive. They've been through a lot.

And if she can't get them out, they'll be fossilized by mud.

Just wanted to share this so this doesn't happen to anyone else. Did anyone else lose their boots in deep mud? I don't think I'll be able to salvage my poor socks either because I had to walk barefoot back. I need to check to see if they're still alive in the washer.

Reactions: Woodhaven

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
If the boots have small holes in them and they are rain boots which means you only wear them when it's wet, I would send them to the garbage if you can find them. ;Having said that I have a couple of pairs of boots here that have holes and have had wet feet.
Also with all this deep mud I have been walking through and lost a boot, loosing a boot isn't so bad but loosing one and falling down in the slop is not fun, I've done that too.
I hope it wasn't too cold where you are for your barefoot walk . I really don't think the small holes were responsible for loosing the boots, it might have happened with unholy boots as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never lost a boot directly to a mud hole, but I have stepped into mud holes in "waterproof" boots only to discover that the boots were no longer waterproof. In both cases I think it was a problem with a seam. So indirectly I have lost boots -- pulled them out of the mudhole still attached to my foot and then threw them in the garbage.
None of them were wellies, so from now on it's wellies all the way! (Current wellies are Mudruckers.)

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
I've never actually lost them, but up until recently I was wearing muck boots that were broken in half at the bottom, I rigged them with duct tape for awhile & they were salvagable.
I finally replaced them, LOL but let me tell you, my socks constantly got muddy/wet & it was NOT a fun time!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Not boots and wet rain/mud but once I got my boots stuck in deep, heavy, wet snow I was able to pull my feet out (socks stayed in the boots) tried to pull the boots out but no luck, had to walk to the house barefoot and get another pair of boots and a shovel to get the boots out of the big drift. I was about eight and a half mon pregnant at the time.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
And if she can't get them out, they'll be fossilized by mud.
Well, just think of what future archeologists might make of the discovery! Maybe more people will lose boots and these future people will conclude that it was a religious site, where people left footwear to placate the god of mud!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Too many times lol. Even on purpose once. When I was little my family went to a diamond mine (ie a muddy field where someone found a diamond 20 years ago.), I got bored of digging and was wandering around when I got stuck in a really deep mud pit. I got out the first time by myself and also discovered how fun it is to try and get out of those things. I got "accidentally" stuck again. My poor dad had to pull me out by my shoulders and then spend half an hour digging my boots out. I had a great time. It's not so fun in the middle of winter though. Hope you get your boots back 😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts