The Horse Forum banner

New bit, but I think it's still too small

297 13
So this is the same bit I tried on Rowan before, but a bigger size. The one I tried on before, Pony's was a little too small, or so it seemed. Pony's was a five inch and this is five and a half inches. I compared it when I got it out and it is indeed half an inch bigger. But it still seems to be too small. I don't think they make this bit in a bigger size. I don't understand it. Rowan's head is a little big for his size IMO (he's 15'1hh and is going to take a large horse size bridle) but I don't feel like his mouth is THAT wide. How could he be too big for the biggest size they make?

I took pictures, but they are pretty bad. He's still getting used to the bit, so he was moving his head around a lot. But I did get one decent one from each side, so you can see where the ring is relative to his mouth. I'm worried it will pinch him. I got a new bridle for him but I don't want to set it up with this bit if it isn't going to fit (this is him in Moonshine's old bridle).

ETA: some might think that the bit is up too high in his mouth. I don't plan on leaving it there. But the trainer was really emphatic that we start it there so he doesn't learn to put his tongue over it.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yup, too small. His lip is going over the edge of the rubber, and I would bet that the ring will pinch his lips. I think the rubber mouthed bits fit a bit smaller that a traditional metal bit, I noticed the same thing with Minnie's rubber mullen mouth.

I don't agree with your trainer's bridling method, but alas, she is your trainer and not me. :)

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah! I found a similar one in a six-inch size! It's a "driving bit" but I don't really care, do I? I mean, functionally it's the same thing, right?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Still too small. If you find a bit that fits and works it doesn't matter that it's a driving bit.

As I said with the last loose ring, they can pinch if skin covers the holes and you're looking for an 1/8th inch clearance of for the lips on each side. Measure from the inside edge of the holes rather than the rings.

If he were my horse I'd drop the bit, it's far too high. A young horse doesn't need that as an intro to having something in his mouth.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the next largest size. I hope it fits!

I started another thread about bit placement.

·
Registered
14,047 Posts
Lower it and it will fit better. Also, FWIW, none of my horses like a straight bar snaffle. They all do well in a Billy Allen curb - and horses can start without problems in a curb bit.
Notice the sides don't allow a horse's lips to pinch. Built in protection. But until you lower the bit, it is hard to know. The height is part of why it is a poor fit. It is pushing the lips out. And honestly, if the trainer thinks that is right...the trainer is part of the problem.

PS: At least try lowering the bit to see how it then fits. I'd also recommend a standard, sweet iron or copper single or double joint D-ring if you want to stay with a snaffle.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got this bit because Pony likes it and he's mouthy. Rowan is mouthy also. He likes to chew on things as a stress reliever sometimes. So I feel like having something in his mouth that he can chew on will be nice for him.

Also I don't want to start him in a metal bit because I'm worried about banging his teeth. If he doesn't seem to like this one, I have a single-jointed bit that I bought to try and we'll see if he likes that.

Reactions: Knave

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I never thought of the brand of bit you are using...I know I've mentioned before there is something weird about the sizing because ponies and average size horses don't wear bits that large. My only point is to not be surprised if you were buying a certain brand, that other bits may suddenly be too large.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My only point is to not be surprised if you were buying a certain brand, that other bits may suddenly be too large.
Yes... I thought about that after I ordered it LOL. I guess we'll see...

Reactions: gottatrot
1 - 14 of 14 Posts