The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm excited. Once my western saddle sells I'm looking at buying a Nikon D80.
I've been wanting more then just my little digital point and shoot for YEARS, and am liking what I hear about this one... not to mention it's affordable for me. I have to get something around $200. If anyone has suggestions for the best camera for that price, let me know!

I've always loved photography, but could never afford a nice camera.
Sooooo happy that I can seriously look around for one now.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
I'm confused as well as to your price point... can you please clarify?
I shoot with a Nikon D5000 - I LOVE my camera, and highly recommend the Nikon line.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoops, definitely the wrong camera I posted about. Ha ha. That's what I get for typing before I think. And now for the life of me, I can't remember what camera I'm really talking about. Oh boy. Will be back later with the right camera, ha ha. Off to school.

In the meantime, any suggestions for the best I could get for under $300?

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 point and shoot ... it's an awesome camera for the price. I will try and get the exact model information for you, it's eluding my memory at the moment, but here's my Photobucket account - most of the pictures on this account are taken with that camera:
Pictures by rian_686 - Photobucket
In particular, I'll point out these shots:

Here's a short video I shot with it:
WalkLeftGood.flv video by rian_686 - Photobucket

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I actually have a lumix right now, can't remember which model though (good at remembering these things, aren't i?). Really like their cameras, but I was hoping to get something more... hmm. It may not be possible for the price range that I'm looking at, and my current camera isn't bad at all, not quite as nice as the lumix you have, but takes good pictures.

I figured it out! I'm talking about a Nikon P80, NOT D8, duh.
I've heard that the price is around $300, which is in my price range, hoping for a refurbished or used one for less. Browsing amazon, they seem to have a good amount that are affordable for me.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Here's a good review on the Nikon P80: Nikon Coolpix P80 Digital Camera Review and Nikon Coolpix P80 Digital Camera - Review - The Imaging Resource!
It looks like a nice camera for the price. 18x optical zoom is great, but with that much zoom you'll likely need a tripod for extended distances. It has a Nikkor-inspired lens, which is fantastic. Apparently, according to one website, it can have multi-shot burst functions (a must for sports shots) ranging from 4 to 13 frames per second - this alone is really neat. It looks like it allows you to have some control over aperature and ISO, which is really nice - a stepping stone, if you will, between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR.
I love my Nikon (I have the D5000 DSLR) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand. Having said that, my little Panasonic Lumix is a really fine point-and-shoot.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reviews! I've read lots, but always research stuff a LOT before I buy.
I do like that it's kind of an in between camera, as I have an interest in photography, and now have some extra cash to upgrade my camera. I plan to take some photography classes and if in a few years I'm still as interested I can upgrade again.
Thanks again Allie!
:D

·
Registered
406 Posts
I currently have the Nikon P80, I must say it is a really nice camera for the price and I absolutely adore mine. The photo quality is amazing when focused on properly. I do have some trouble using the indoor settings in low light, they are normally fairly blurry, but if you use the flash then the pictures come out clear. It's just that the flash is very bright and I've been told it's blinding by my family.

As for the "Sports" setting you can take multiple photographs just holding down the button. The pictures are fairly pixelated when you zoom in so I normally opt for the "Manual" setting when taking clear pictures of something that is moving.

I am not very camera savvy so if I can take a good quality photograph I'm more than positive you can get some very nice photos from this camera.

Here are a few photos I took, Photobucket unfortunately blurred them out but they are actually quite crisper.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are nice pictures! And I agree, I'd have to learn how to work the settings to take the best pictures, but even on manual I hear that it's pretty good. Sad that you find the multi-burst pictures not as clear. But the manual mode takes sharp pictures? My subjects will mostly be the horses, so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, I see! Sounds good to me. I have a lot to learn about cameras, only ever had point and shoots, so I'm really excited to get one that has settings you can mess with.
:D

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Those are good pictures but my experience with that camera...the p80 is a horrible camera!!! I bought one and had to take it back because no matter what I did I got bright purple lines all over the pictures. Nikon gave me a 4 week waiting period to check it out and they found absolutely nothing wrong. I took it back to the store and traded for another p80 and got the exact same results. I tried shooting in the shade, the light, away from the sun towards the sun, not zoomed, zoomed all the way. I always got purple lines all over the place no matter what I did, even my cousin who's a professional photographer got the same result when he tried it and he knows some pretty neat tricks that's supposed to avoid that stuff. After digging around for a while I found that this has been complained about before with this camera. Now I keep it around if I want quick crappy videos but I bought a d40 which was in my price range at that time and so far have no complaints about the d40 however I have bought numerous lenses and a new off camera flash instead of sticking with the little kit it comes with. If you don't plan on doing anything serious then it might be a great camera but unless you're a pro in photo shop I'd suggest looking at something other than the p80.

If they have somehow upgraded the p80 to something better then great but I bought mine 2 years ago and it was absolutely awful, both the one I bought and the new one I traded it for. Neither worked without giving me bright purple lines all over the images. Just my personal opinion. I hope you find a camera you like.

·
Registered
211 Posts
GET IT! GET IT! GET IT!
I have it and absolutely LOVE IT!
It sounds like you are in the exact same boat that I was a year ago - wanting to finally get a nice camera but not knowing what to get. I asked my uncle, who is the self assigned family photographer, and he suggested this camera. I have had it about a year - i probably got it a year ago this week. I have yet to find something I dislike about it. About a week after I got it, I went to Rome and used the point and shoot setting - it took amazing photos! I also brought it to China during the summer. There were some camera wizards on the trip, so they showed me even more awesome things that i didn't even know about. I will attach some photos that I have taken with it - both with the point and shoot and other settings. One setting in particular, the "sports mode," is awesome for catching horses jumping. It takes like a photo every .3 seconds or something. :D
Anyways, mine was about $350. I have two batteries, only because when I went to China I wanted to make sure I never ran out of power :lol:
Anyways, if you have any questions at all feel free to ask me! Do you have a FB? I can friend you so you can see more?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drafts4ever- Hmm, that is peculiar. Thanks for the advice!

juju- I'll PM you my FB account, definitely add me! Love the pictures! I was also looking at a P90, which is just a step up from the P80, but I can only afford that if my parents decide to chip in, which is unlikely. Glad to see the quality of photos it takes! Was it very hard to figure out what settings were best for what situation? I don't mind having to learn how to get the best out of the camera, but I don't know much, ha ha.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been looking around for a new camera also.
I'm stuck between a Nikon p80 and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28. Both have optical zoom

I currently am leaning toward the Lumix. I have a Lumix TZ5 and I love it. I've been told that the Lumix is cheaper and slightly better than the Nikon. I'm still making up my mind though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have no experince/information about the Lumix but I would suggest the P80...im a little biased :)
My uncle who takes amazing photographs, travels to take photos, etc. suggested it to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.