The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: Might be helpful if I added a link to their site https://www.newcountryorganics.com/

So, I'm always looking at feeds, sometimes out of curiosity, sometimes out of invested interest in trying it. In the past month, I ran across this brand of organic feed on Amazon amid brainless scrolling. They look interesting, and the horse feeds I looked at looked tasty.

The feeds come in fifty pound sacks or in 2,000 pound totes, much like how we get our locally milled chicken feed (though we get 500 to 1k pound totes as opposed to 2k pounds... I don't think poor Moby - our '96 F150 pickup - could take that much weight lol. It's asking a lot more than we should of that truck just to get three round bales at once in the bed. I hate hauling three...)

On the tangent of the chicken feed, the provider professes that her feeds can be used on horses, too, and while our horses do like it, I, personally, am not sold on the idea. The ingredient ratios fluctuate, sometimes it might have beet pulp in it, sometimes it has corn, sometimes a lot of millet and peas, sometimes not. I'd like consistent feed, please, so I have them on oats apart from their free choice grass hay (two to three round bales. I have to dump them in the pasture all at once as we have no tractor to stack them out of reach outside the pasture and pluck a bale out to toss in when they finish one. Having multiple also gives Kate other options when Gabe pulls rank and chases her off the bale. These two personify the phrase "Can't live with 'im, can't live without 'im" because they fret when apart, and Gabe pushes her around when they're together.)

Back to the topic of this brand: Has anyone tried their horse feeds (and other products for that matter, they have chicken feed, too)?

What was the experience like? Did you ship multiple states (I'm in WA, the closest mill they have is in Texas, so shipping charges are ... ouch.)? How was their customer service if something was wrong with your order?

How did the horses/animals like the feed? Palatable? Did it help their condition, did they lose condition? Any poisonings?

These feeds are on the far outside of choices. I'd just like to hear what others think of the brand, the feeds, and the sustainability of feeding it when you live so far from the nearest mill.

Thanks greatly in advance ^^

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am not really impressed, to be honest.

The Performance Horse feed and the Elite Competitor has Oats as the first ingredient. I guess since that is what you are feeding, that's similar, but I personally do not feed my horse(s) oats. There is no need and they are are too starchy (and sugary ?). High in Phosphorus, low in calcium. Moderate Iron and Manganese. Not something that any horse really needs. There are better things to feed performance and competitions horses than oats.

The recommended feeding rates for the feeds range from 1 - 2 lbs. However, at the 50-120 Copper PPM and 150-300 Zinc PPM, that is not much. For the copper, that is: 22.68 mg (1 lb @ 50 ppm), 45.36 mg (2 lb @ 50 ppm), and 54.432 mg (1 lb @ 120 ppm). For the Zinc, that is 68.04 mg (1 lb @ 150 ppm), 136.08 mg (2 lb @ 150 ppm), and 136.08 mg (1 lb @ 300 ppm). That is not much in the grand scheme of horse nutrition. The calcium and phosphorus won't make a dent.... Anything else (vitamins and minerals) is NOT listed in the guaranteed analysis.

Their "Low Starch" formula is not good for a "real" metabolic horse. Alfalfa can be high in sugar and starches and Organic Sunflower Oil is high in omega-6s. The Sugar and Starch is not guaranteed, so that's not a "safe" feed.

So, if you want to feed "organic fun food" (fuel or a treat or whatever), okay. But as a complete nutrition, you will most likely be missing out on many things, unless you have great grass and hay...

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I don't have any advice on this brand of feed, so I apologize if my reply is not helpful.

You should probably go with a Ration Balancer for your situation. There are many online providers where you can order one of these delivered, including chewy.com, which ships free when your order is over $49. Chewy carries Tribute Essential K, which my barn owner recommended as a good feed. (I don't personally feed it, but went with Nutrena Empower Topline in hopes of it helping my horse's topline).

If you do end up choosing a feed that comes in a huge bulk amount that will last months... just be careful. Any feed can go bad over time, and horses are especially susceptible to rancid feed. You could end up paying a lot more in vet bills than you ever saved buying it in bulk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts