The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I started this drawing I was incredibly frustrated. I did the entire thing with a 6B pencil, and at the dark parts I got my anger out quite well You can't really see in the pic, but this is a DARK drawing. The black is true black this time. I tried for about 10 minutes to get a picture that showed the true contrast/darkness, but the whole picture is really dark on that. Took me about an hour.

I must say though, I'm kinda proud of the tack :)

This picture is ridiculously dark, but you can kinda see what I see in real life (darks v. light) better:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t75/xxOHFxx/Riding/SDC10182.jpg

I will try and get a better picture tomorrow. -_-

For whatever reason, I don't like the eye. Is it just me or is there a lack of expression? Help?

Critique please :) Be harsh and honest, as always. Don't worry, you won't offend me :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think it looks very nice. And I agree about the tack-nice job. I'd recommend using a couple different types of pencil. That way you get a nice dimension.
And this would look awesome in charcoal too =)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hah the 6B was the only one I could find. Usually I attempt to use a variation...though I usually get "stuck" in one area, whether it's all H's or all B's.

I've never worked with charcoal...maybe that's what I'll do over spring break?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Charcoal's a bunch of fun...kinda messy but lotsa fun. It gives the drawing a different look since it's a different texture. And it shades really well.
I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'll stop by Michaels and see if they have charcoal for over spring break (which starts thursday! yay!) I've been wanting to try something new for a while now! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like it, it looks good. I would agree to use a few diff pencils and remember, the good book says that the eye is the window to the soul.

Good luck!!!
Wess

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Looks fantastic!! the eye especially. They are very difficult to dimension. Good for you. Looking forwards to seeing more of your artwork.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like it, it looks good. I would agree to use a few diff pencils and remember, the good book says that the eye is the window to the soul.

Good luck!!!
Wess
thanks :) Yeah, I wish I had been able to rustle up a few other ones. But I was angry and I wanted to draw and I only had the 6B haha.

Looks fantastic!! the eye especially. They are very difficult to dimension. Good for you. Looking forwards to seeing more of your artwork.
I still feel like something about the eye is missing...it doesn't really have any expression, almost? I dunno.

Thank you! I actually have another drawing (horse, I have like five non-equine drawings but I don't think I can post them here) but I'm not yet sure how I feel about it so I'm not gonna post it. But a member on here asked me to draw it for them :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
DANGG! Love the detail!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you :) I am kind of surprised at the amount of detail I got...it's usually my worst enemy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts