The Horse Forum banner

New grooming tools!

442 12
Hi everyone! One of my favorite things to do with me horse is groom him馃槀 it鈥檚 great bonding for us since he鈥檚 a mustang recently out of the wild:) and I LOVE cool grooming supplies! Does anyone have any grooming supplies that they really like such as sprays, shampoos, de shedders, hoof care, tail bags of sorts, etc? Not the basics like soft brushes and curry combs, or hoof picks. Possibly supplies that help for their presentation in showing? We are going to be entering a showmanship class very soon! (He鈥檚 not saddle broke yet馃お)

I already have a few new ones I love! One called a tigers tongue(almost like a coarse sponge), and a sleek ez:)
Thank you in advance!!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
Ooo! I just bought the Tiger Tounge and the SleekEZ and I just looooooove the SleekEZ and the sponge is really amazing too. I wish that I had something else to offer... Oh yes I do! I found this website and really like the reviews and video of all the products, especially the Lucy Diamonds Horse Shampoo.

Premium Member
I like my shedding gloves (also called grooming gloves if you want to do a search. They're basically gloves with rubber nubs all over that help remove hair during shedding season. But they also really help stimulate the skin and blood vessels, and I mostly love them because you can get them places where curries and shedding blades can't reach, like in all the nooks and crannies of a lower leg.

Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
I like my shedding gloves (also called grooming gloves if you want to do a search. They're basically gloves with rubber nubs all over that help remove hair during shedding season. But they also really help stimulate the skin and blood vessels, and I mostly love them because you can get them places where curries and shedding blades can't reach, like in all the nooks and crannies of a lower leg.
Talking of grooming gloves I like these: Amazon.com

Registered
My favourite shedding tool is actually a pair of dishwashing gloves (with silicone nubs for scrubbing). I use the standard rubber curry comb first to loosen the hair, then the glove to pull it out. Follow with a good quality body brush, and maybe if I'm feeling fancy a polishing brush (these are sheepskin so best used on clean horses).

Registered
I have this mane and tail brush that I loooooove. It is sooo nice and really does the job perfectly. A comb doesn't compare to this brush: Amazon.com

and the horses love it too it doesn't pull on their manes too much and gets out tangles that aren't horrid very nicely.

Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
I have this mane and tail brush that I loooooove. It is sooo nice and really does the job perfectly. A comb doesn't compare to this brush: Amazon.com

and the horses love it too it doesn't pull on their manes too much and gets out tangles that aren't horrid very nicely.
I have a couple of those mane and tail brush's and your right they are pretty good and really handy to have. (y) I think I got mine at Tractor Supply.

Registered

Registered
Two things I like most are a soft body brush and a rubber scraper. If you wash your horse at all it takes a lot of work out of it and allows the horse to dry much faster, when the water scoops off you can see if you haven't rinsed thoroughly enough! Also, old bath towels.. if you are showing you never have enough!! lol. I use nothing fancy tho!

@blue eyed pony I guess we all use that rubber curry on our horses at times. Did you know it is not actually supposed to be used on the horse, it is for cleaning the horse brushes.

Hold in one hand brush horse with (ie body brush) 2 or 3 strokes, then run brush over curry a couple of times, repeat. It is great for removing moulting hair but can be a bit hard on the skin, especially fine skinned animals like arab or thoroughbred they will often flinch away from it.

Body jewelry Automotive tire Jewellery Circle Natural material
Tool Nipper Wire stripper Bicycle part Auto part

Registered
Two things I like most are a soft body brush and a rubber scraper. If you wash your horse at all it takes a lot of work out of it and allows the horse to dry much faster, when the water scoops off you can see if you haven't rinsed thoroughly enough! Also, old bath towels.. if you are showing you never have enough!! lol. I use nothing fancy tho!

@blue eyed pony I guess we all use that rubber curry on our horses at times. Did you know it is not actually supposed to be used on the horse, it is for cleaning the horse brushes.

Hold in one hand brush horse with (ie body brush) 2 or 3 strokes, then run brush over curry a couple of times, repeat. It is great for removing moulting hair but can be a bit hard on the skin, especially fine skinned animals like arab or thoroughbred they will often flinch away from it.

View attachment 1136927 View attachment 1136928
Those 2 are really great I have both and just looove them! (y)

Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas

View attachment 1136927 View attachment 1136928
Hummmm, I never heard that @ShirtHotTeez about the rubber curry was for cleaning brushes, I always just used it on my horses to get the deep dirt off of them before I went to a soft brush, but have also used them to clean a brush here or there LOL, But To really clean the hair off my brushes I just rubbed them (the soft brushes) against a tree and the bark would clean them really well for me, lol..

Registered
I was taught the rubber curry was for shifting deep dirt and massaging the horse. Metal curry combs are for cleaning brushes, and aren't commonly used anymore. But a rubber curry certainly does a fantastic job of cleaning the brushes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts