The Horse Forum banner

New guy!! Whatcha thinkk!

1179 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ILOVEGUINESS
kay. so i got a new horse. a paint. hes an upcoming 4 year old. he'll be 4 on june.3. so heres the thing. i have recently found out that throughtout his 3 year old year....he has been jumped. about 10 times..nothing above a foot. she said at max 1.5-2 foot jump once in woods.
well i would like to jump him when he turns four. nothing above 3 foot. once a week..if thatt.

well my question is what do you think of them jumping him before?? how messed up do you think hell be. what kinda problems do you think he will have?
(p.s. i didnt know what category to put in under so i picked this one! sorry for any inconvience)

oh and i have him on joint supplements. the smartpak one. i think smartjoint mantience. and a hoof supplement. smart hoof.
if that helps??
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
I suggest focusing on balance, carriange, extension, collection and striding over poles and small crossrails until he's about 5 years old and then feel free to reach 3' after age 6 and then he'll be fully grown and his bones will be fully formed. But work on the basics and when you get to that 3' jump, it'll be great because you both will be so ready for it.
(I've helped train two ponies since they were two, they're now ten)

And of course, one thing you must do... Pictures!!!

· Registered
157 Posts
One thing to add - by saying "small crossrails", I'm not saying a foot. Small crossrails could be small verticals but I suggest nothing too much higher than 2'. If 2' in the arena gets boring, go 2' cross country. Cross country hacking is great for his balance and your balance. So yeah.

And I stand by my lasst thing... Pictures!!! Hehe.

· Registered
157 Posts
Awwww, he's cute!!!!! I want him. :D

He shouldn't have any health problems due to early jumping, but if jumped improperly, he could end up with joint problems later on but its highly unlikely. Just keep the jumps smaller than 3' until his bones are all fused together.

But now, I want more pictures :D he's too adorable not to stare at!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.