The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a gelding that is about 18 yo. (Maybe) and when I walked out tonight to feed him I noticed a large mass under his belly. It’s really firm like the rest of him normally is and he isn’t in pain. A couple of days ago he got spooked by something a bucked a couple of times but he was totally fine. The pictures don’t really do it justice. Maybe 10 inches in diameter.
Any help as to what you think it might be I’d be really grateful! (I am still figuring this site out so if I didn’t post this in the correct spot I’m so sorry!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Uh that is truly disconcerting. I've only seen similar stuff in humans/other animals and usually it's a hernia. I would not be letting this horse get up to any shenanigans without seeing a vet to be safe. Some hernias can be extremely painful but plenty people with hernias, depending where it is, don't have pain or are even aware of it. If you aren't aware what a hernia is then put simply the muscles that hold all our innards in have an opening and organs/intestines can fall through giving said appearance as well as being at risk for injury/complications etc etc. Usually requires surgery or some sort of band/contraption to keep organs from having a party! This is just what jumps to my mind first at least but I've never encountered a hernia in a horse though ofc they do happen.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
Hi & welcome,

I will move your post to the Health section for you - might get better replies there. But if you could get better pics... And if it doesn't go down within a couple of days, I'd personally get the vet, regardless what other opinions you get here.

Didn't think of hernia, but I thought maybe a bite - spider or such? Suppose it couldn't be a snake?? Would explain sudden bucking. Don't know what beasties you have wherever you live...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
aha @loosie literally because I'm in the "safest" country wildlife wise I literally NEVER think about stuff like this. I mean ofc it happens and allergies even bee stings... but yikes haha. Listen I've been up since 4am. OP I look forward to more answers and hopefully it IS something that will resolve on it's own.

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
Looks like an allergic reaction. Most likely from a bite. If you think it started with the buck/spook if that is out of character then a stinging insect is more likely than a spider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts