The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Our mare Belle had eyes like this when she first came to live with us. It was a sign of stress. 3 years later and the whites no longer show. FWIW she is a black and white paint as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
Common trait in paints is a white rimmed eye...
This horse has beautiful, expressive eyes...not sure I would say "human" but very nice.

My paint has eyes like this too...
He lives a stress-free life so his eyes are staying just as they are...:wink:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
Was told a "wives tale" a long time ago that a white rimmed eye is indication of a evil nature..

Now in my personal paint horses case he is the most affectionate and in-your-pocket animal..
I also had a boss who had a white rimmed eye Thoroughbred mare...
She had a nasty streak in her that was unpredictable...but she also was very kind most of the time and a fantastic ride when not cycling...think the attitude change was hormone related.

To me, it adds intrigue to the horse, any horse....
Some I like it on some not...
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Horses Big Beautiful Eyes! So fascinating.

Wow! Such beautiful horses!!!

Found this and thought it might help answer the question (you made me very curious):
https://thehorse.com/150973/why-can-i-see-the-whites-of-my-horses-eyes/

The “eye whites” you are describing is the white color of the conjunctiva, third eyelid, and sclera, tissues that surround the central, clear cornea of the eye.

… and he gives several reasons why…

Brian C. Gilger, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVO
Brian C. Gilger, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVO is an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at North Carolina State University.

This is an aside: a slow-motion video on the third eyelid (I just think it is so cool!).
"What Is And What Is The Purpose Of A Horse's Third Eyelid"
by Stable Horse Training YouTube Channel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts