The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum, thanks for having me!

We brought home a new :runninghorse2: last week. He's our second, so we have some experience but are still novice owners. Our new guy, Red, is 13 years old, a former parade horse, super chill. We bought him from a local consignment type place that specializes in family horses. He's a little under weight but other than that his health checked out. (We have him on beet pulp, senior feed, vegetable oil and full turnout and he's already gaining weight nicely). He doesn't show any lameness or anything, but I am wondering about his front right hoof. There is a slight vertical crack and what looks like two old spots were abscesses had been. Am I correct in thinking these are old and not needing treatment at this moment? I don't want to miss something needs immediate attention. Thank you!

ETA: sorry the photo is side ways... I am on my work computer and have no way to edit it due to software restrictions...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Looks like he had an injury at coronary band so hoof wall has a defect in it now. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
Looks like a past injury to the coronet band that causes a slight defect in the hoof. Other than being sure to trim regularly and make sure the farrier gives him good angles, nothing to be done.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I mean, I would keep it clean... rather than do nothing
While it's probably already past the infection stage... those cracks can become reinfected. Scrubbing it off a bit and putting some thrush treatment on there won't hurt it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.