The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently acquired a new horse who is on 14-6 grain and hay. The woman I got her from has been working to put weight on her as she was underweight to begin with. I have been leasing Ginger for some time now but finally was able to buy her! I am very excited as I am not new to horses (I grew up with them) but am new to caring soley on my own. She could use a few more pounds. I am wondering if I should add anything else to her grain? What purpose do you add items like beet pulp or alfalfa? Also we have pasture that I would like to transition her to. She was on a dry lot before. How often should i put her in the stall during the day to slowly transition her to pasture? Will she still need as much hay with being on pasture? (she gets two flakes in the morning and two at night and also two quarts of grain in the morning and two at night) any and all advice would be great thank yuou

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
14% protein, 6% fat? What kind? Brand name? Feed name? What do the directions say to feed on the bag? If you aren't at least in the ball park feeding according to directions you could be shorting the horse on needed vitamins and minerals.

If you can make her a small dry lot near her stall that would be the easiest and then let her out on the pasture for an hour or so and slowly increase it. Have hay for her in the stall or dry lot so she doesn't go crazy and gorge. Also without a small pen she's going to be stall bound a lot and that just isn't fair. It's going to take a month or so to get her used to grass.

Alfalfa and beet pulp will both help add weight without adding dangerous starch to the diet.

2 flakes each meal isn't much unless they are huge flakes consistently. I'd up her hay. In the winter I easily go through a 65-70 lb bale a day here for one horse. If I go sub zero I go through a lot more. I feed hay right up until about mid May. Otherwise they have just shy of 20 acres to roam. I'm in NH so I've got similar weather. Hay is the key to keeping them warm.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Start letting her graze by two hour increments - increasing the time every 3-4 days. This will allow gut bacteria to adjust slowly.

Sugar beet pulp is a highly digestible fiber used to put/keep weight on horses without increasing colic or laminitis risk like heavy pelleted/grain feeding has.

You can also add soybean/canola oil to feed to safely increase calories without causing 'hotness' or blood glucose spikes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If she hasn't been on pasture for awhile, I might start with 30 minutes at a time instead of an hour or two to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The brand is southern states and it is 14 protein and 6 fat.. she does need a few more pounds but she already gets 2 quarts in morning and 2 quarts at night. Im wondering if all the grain is the reason for her hot headedness? So can I add beet pulp to add on weight instead of adding another quart of grain like they suggested I do?

·
Administrator
35,686 Posts
Triple Crown does Safe Starch Forage which is a complete forage based feed and ideal for adding soaked beet pulp and alfalfa pellets too if you want to increase weight, once the weight is where you want it to be then you can reduce the beet pulp and pellets

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Southerns states makes a lot of horse feed. Which one?Its callec southern states 14 six thats allit says on the bag. So is there any kind of formula I can use to know how much she needs to get in order to put on weight. Ive been told before horses need 2% of their body weight daily but im assuming that is to maintain.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I found it.

How much hay or grass is she getting? If you want her to gain weight she needs to have forage in front of her pretty close to all the time.

You need to see how much a quart actually weighs and then follow the directions on the bag. If you feed less than the directed amounts you will short her on needed vitamins and minerals.

FEEDING DIRECTIONS Total Daily Ration
(lbs of feed per day)
1 900-lb
Mature BW
1100-lb
Mature BW
1300-lb
Mature BW
Weanling to Yearling (6-12 months)14-Six Horse Feed1,2
Hay or Pasture Equivalent 5.5-8.5 lbs
4.0-8.5 lbs
7.5-10.5 lbs
5.0-10.5 lbs
8.5-12.5 lbs
6.0-12.5 lbs Mature Horse - Active (light to heavy work)
14-Six Horse Feed1,2
Hay or Pasture Equivalent
3.5-11.5 lbs
9.0-13.5 lbs
4.0-14.0 lbs
11.0-16.5 lbs
5.0-16.0 lbs
13.0-19.5 lbs Mature Horse - Inactive, Breeding or Pregnant
14-Six Horse Feed1,2
Hay or Pasture Equivalent
3.0-6.5 lbs
9.0-13.5 lbs
4.0-7.5 lbs
11.0-16.5 lbs
5.0-8.5 lbs
13.0-19.5 lbs Lactating Mare
14-Six Horse Feed1,2
Hay or Pasture Equivalent 9.0-13.5 lbs
9.0-13.5 lbs 11.0-16.5 lbs
11.0-16.5 lbs 13.0-19.5 lbs
13.0-19.5 lbs 1If feeding less than 4 pounds daily, add EquiMin Horse Mineral to daily feeding program.
2Add an electrolyte supplement to daily feeding program for horses in moderate exercise and above.

SouthernStates.com: Southern States 14-Six Textured Horse Feed 50lb - Southern States Cooperative

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Beet pulp is great for adding weight to thin horses but you have to soak it first. If you don't you risk choke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its called southern states 14 six thats allit says on the bag. So is there any kind of formula I can use to know how much she needs to get in order to put on weight. Ive been told before horses need 2% of their body weight daily but im assuming that is to maintain.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 16 of 16 Posts