The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Super Moderator
WELCOME to the Forum!!

Sounds your horse got shipping fever....or strangles. Shipping fever and strangles are related by similar bacterium shared.
He doesn't feel well yet I bet.
Its fine to spend time with him but keep him away from the other horses...and don't you touch any other horses either without thorough and careful cleaning of your hands and wash your clothes...

Did the vet not give you a better diagnosis?
Was the word pneumonia said or he has been said to have fluid surrounding his lungs, in his pleura sack?
Those are basics of what shipping fever is and it takes time, weeks to months for it to rectify and heal itself.
Before I would start to work the horse I would be having the vet return to make sure the infection, the obstructions and the fluid heard around the lungs is gone...
Horses treated early have good outcome of recovery, but...you need to make sure the animal has recovered from being sick first... Depending upon how seriously he was sick, his own immune systems ability to fight off germs and bacteria....
Get the vet back out to recheck and give the "all-clear, good to go" diagnosis first...
To much to soon is not good....the horse by his attitude I think is not quite feeling well and a bit more time is needed.
That vet visit though might be able to give the horse a pick me up injection to feeling better sooner...you need to ask.
The vet should be able to give you a timeline on when and how much you can do astride...
馃惔....

Super Moderator
To fence a area for the horse to come home...you can start smaller and add to it as you can.
50'x150' is a nice size to start with, even that could be shorter but this size would allow him to run around a bit and self exercise, buck & fart as he feels better. You can also ride in that size if you place a barn/shelter toward the end....a 50x120 is adequate to exercise in to start with...it can challenge you to ride and rate your horse, make decisions to not just go roundy-round in boredom for the animal.

Remember when you put posts in the closer you space the stronger the fence becomes and corner posts need bracing both directions and longer length than line posts of the long sides.
Gates always take a 8' long post and larger diameter as no matter what gate you use it puts added stress hanging on that post.
I have 4 board plank for my smaller containment paddock area, but otherwise we have horse fence or field fence all with a top board placed so no bending of the fence to try the grass seen on the other side.
Many use electric fence to keep the horses off their fence but living in the lightening capital of the world we would be inviting more ground strikes and danger to the horses than I want to do...
We use 1"x6"x16' long boards rough cut for our top boards with all fence posts at 8' distances gives very good strength of fence had. A nice nailing distance to to work with.

If he is not used to being stalled, get him some outdoor time every day even in a temporary corral would let him move more...amazing what a horse can do in a small round pen t/o I've seen them do by their choice.
馃惔... jmo...

Reactions: stevenson

Super Moderator
Whatever you have for footing will work to get the horse home.
Grass everywhere sounds wonderful if the horse is on a pasture environment now. Otherwise, if you bring home a horse who is not accustomed to 24/7 grass, he needs to be introduced a few hours a day and build that to being all day...will take about 10 days and he will be only eating pasture otherwise he will get the runs and possible belly ache and could get laminitis or founder...a balancing act to keep the horse healthy it must be.
Living in South Dakota not sure what direction your storms come from more and that makes a difference in how you place a shelter opening... @beau159 is near their and might be able to share what she did as she just put up a shelter for her horses recently...

The horse{s} will get used to the wildlife as long as they are not predators of the horse such as bear or mountain lion or such. Horses will never rest if they can not be safe in their home, so depending upon what you have animal wise is going to dictate the housing and safety/security factor you need and must offer the horse{s}.
With the exception of the hungry coyote which can/will attack a horse ...the rest will probably come to eat the hay you feed, the grain pieces dropped to the ground or found in manure...
Skunks will raid the hen house as has happened here not sure about woodchucks...
Coyotes will absolutely kill your hens...so that must be made coyote proof to protect your food source. And they will hunt in daylight and be seen too...
When you bring home a horse you will also attract other critters of field mice, wild rat rodents, opossums you not know are around...time to get steel cans for food if you not have them...the undesirable critters are coming as the weather gets cold so be prepared.

To protect your grass from over-grazing I would fence as large as you can, section it to 1/4's and rotate the horse a week in each size and move on to the next...allows grass to have 3 weeks recuperation time for regrowth.
Interior fencing many do use t-post. I had bad, terrible experience with steel posts at another barn on the property used steel t-posts..please if you do t-post buy the caps and use them.... I have seen the devastating damage a mare endured when she was playing in a t/o with that kind of fence post, must of bucked and came down on it...impaled, tore and ripped her guts open... If the posts had had caps the damage would of been so reduced...please, use caps on t-posts.She survived but hundreds of $$ in vet expenses, complications healing happened and she was to be bred and that was ruined as she not longer could safely carry she had so much damage turned me off of those posts ever concerning my horses and property..
Plant Rectangle Wood Automotive tire Tree
Plant Mesh Land lot Agriculture Wire fencing
Circuit component Cable Adapter Electrical supply Fashion accessory
Working animal Fence Dairy cow Wire fencing Grazing
Horse Ecoregion Working animal Dog breed Liver

The pictures shown are t-post caps different styles and what a fence using t-post can look like and what the exposure your horse faces if not capped....
Yes, the horses can knock them off after they stretch in the weather so replacing them is a pest but protects your horse from some serious injuries from rubbing and scratching, heaven forbid you have a buck and land on the things...
The last picture is t-post, fence and a top-rail fence design..
Use HD t-posts cause they are longer length and thicker adding strength to the fence. Those caps can be found at local farm stores, Tractor Supply, Lowe's, Home Depot and of course online...shop around for best prices.

Prepare now to get your hay supply in and stored out of the weather cause you can not graze on frozen ground not growing and the horse must eat....
Your winter arrives sooner and lasts longer than other locations in this nation.
The sooner you can get your hay supply the more choice quality and better price you will pay...hay is skyrocketing right now so it will be quite a expense to bring in what you need for many months of forage and a proper storage to protect it from weather and spoiling.
That should get you started in preparations to bring home your horse... ;)
馃惔.... jmo...

Reactions: stevenson
1 - 3 of 3 Posts