The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first horse, she's an 11 year old arabian mare and I'm a little lost. Its my first time actually owning..and I'm afraid I dont know what to do! She's boarded at a private barn with three other horses and hasn't been ridden for years since her previous owner was bucked off and broke some ribs. I don't think its smart to just hop on her, but what do I know?

Any tips on dealing with new horses? Any ideas on what I should do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a trainer or attend some training and start with ground work....
Luckily my friend at the stable down the block the head trainer. I'll definitely be calling him in, but in the mean time, i really just want to build a bond with her..anything to keep me busy. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Put her in a round yard or small arena and try join-up with her. It's a great way for you to start your relationship with her as her leader. If it's done correctly, in theory, you shouldn't have problems with her trying to be dominant over you. I say "in theory" because some horses will try test you everytime they see you, and others may just need a reminder join-up session every once in a while.
How to Join Up With a Horse - wikiHow

Spend time with her on the ground, grooming her or just hanging out with her in her stall or paddock. Sit somewhere safe and let her come and investigate you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put her in a round yard or small arena and try join-up with her. It's a great way for you to start your relationship with her as her leader. If it's done correctly, in theory, you shouldn't have problems with her trying to be dominant over you. I say "in theory" because some horses will try test you everytime they see you, and others may just need a reminder join-up session every once in a while.
How to Join Up With a Horse - wikiHow

Spend time with her on the ground, grooming her or just hanging out with her in her stall or paddock. Sit somewhere safe and let her come and investigate you.
very helpful, thanks a bunch! i'm definitely going to attempt this with her when it gets a little less muddy in our outdoor ring...or would you suggest and indoor?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would definately stay off this mare if I were you, things could go fine, things could go bad either way if you're unsure if you can handle it you shouldn't put yourself in the position where you don't know what to do. Will the trainer you mentioned be riding the mare first?

In the meantime, LOTS of groundwork will help gain her trust and build a bond with her. Desensitizing to scary objects is a big one because it will help gain her trust. Does she lead okay? (not try to push you over or run ahead of you?) Have you tried lunging her?

I personally love for bonding time with my mare is handgrazing her and going on walks with her (not ON her, just next to her) and she seems to enjoy it as well :)

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
For the "investigating" thing, I recommend some kind of mint gum or chewable mint. It works wonders and makes you VERY interesting to horses

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I would spend as much time around her as you can. Let her smell you, brush her, talk to her, do everything you can to let her know you are there and you are not going to hurt her. If you give her treats, I suggest you do it in a bucket and not your hand (some horses can get pushy when given hand treats). I like the idea of hand grazing her too. Does she have a name?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would definately stay off this mare if I were you, things could go fine, things could go bad either way if you're unsure if you can handle it you shouldn't put yourself in the position where you don't know what to do. Will the trainer you mentioned be riding the mare first?

In the meantime, LOTS of groundwork will help gain her trust and build a bond with her. Desensitizing to scary objects is a big one because it will help gain her trust. Does she lead okay? (not try to push you over or run ahead of you?) Have you tried lunging her?

I personally love for bonding time with my mare is handgrazing her and going on walks with her (not ON her, just next to her) and she seems to enjoy it as well :)
I am in no rush to get on her..I'm much more concerned with building a bond with her cause I want to do this right! Yes, the trainer will definitely be the first one to be on her when the time comes.. but in the meantime I will definitely be taking her one walks and I'm going to get mike the trainer to lunge her because I have no idea what she'll do!

When I put her on the lead she is very excited, and yes she does go in front of me right when taking her out, but after she's been on the crossties and I've brushed her I can lead her calmly to her stall.

Can't wait til this mud is gone so we can walk around!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the "investigating" thing, I recommend some kind of mint gum or chewable mint. It works wonders and makes you VERY interesting to horses
I don't think this horse has ever had a mint before until yesterday!!! It was hilarious, I pulled one from my pocket and crinkled it a bit and she tilted her head and sniffed it. And when she ate it her eyes went huge :shock: and her tongue was everywhere! I couldn't stop laughing..but I think she liked it because she was investigating my mint pocket afterwards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would spend as much time around her as you can. Let her smell you, brush her, talk to her, do everything you can to let her know you are there and you are not going to hurt her. If you give her treats, I suggest you do it in a bucket and not your hand (some horses can get pushy when given hand treats). I like the idea of hand grazing her too. Does she have a name?
Yes, the mare has a name. Jenna. I'm not super fond of the name but its definitely growing on me..It's not like she responds to it or anything but I want to keep it because I think its respectful of the previous owner because they're family friends and this horse was given to me for free. :)

Anyway I'm going there today and I'm going to try your bucket method, because she was very pushy yesterday and I don't want to train her to be a nippy horse! I like the idea of handgrazing too :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

If you guys were wondering, this is Jenna :) She's an 11 year old arabian mare...and I'm going to get an accurate measurement today! ha ha I also have to remember to bring my good camera!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
what a cutie !!

·
Registered
755 Posts
I am in no rush to get on her..I'm much more concerned with building a bond with her cause I want to do this right! Yes, the trainer will definitely be the first one to be on her when the time comes.. but in the meantime I will definitely be taking her one walks and I'm going to get mike the trainer to lunge her because I have no idea what she'll do!

When I put her on the lead she is very excited, and yes she does go in front of me right when taking her out, but after she's been on the crossties and I've brushed her I can lead her calmly to her stall.

Can't wait til this mud is gone so we can walk around!
That's great! Alot of people are too stubborn to get a trainer or to wait for the trainer to come deal with the horse, so to find someone who isn't is like....a shock! Haha.

You should probably practice leading her around alot (in the arena or you can practice it on your walks!) since she isn't quite perfect about it yet. She shouldn't be rushing ahead of you at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey there I am a horse trainer and i would love to help you out where are you located?
I would love some help but I'm afraid I don't have the money to spend. :oops:Luckily I'm friends with a trainer at the stable down the road and he agreed to come help me from time to time.

By the way, I'm located in the south suburbs of chicago, IL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.