The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I got my mare home and its been 2 days and she has developed an abcess and i have no clue what to do i dont have a stall built yet as well as my entire pasture is muddy and wet so no dry area. Any advice!

Super Moderator
My first thought would be call your farrier and let them know you have a problem...
Being they know your property and wet conditions they may be able to give you better advice...
My farrier not only would advise, he would be on his way to my place to see if he could offer some physical help locating the abscess and either applying a drawing poultice or if it is really close to the surface to pop, help it a bit to drain the poison, then pack it clean and dry...

The horse is often worst just before the eruption occurs...for me, that means 3-legged lame and totally non-weight bearing.
If in doubt, make a phone call to the vet/farrier professionals for advice on what to do, how to do and what products to use for best outcome.
馃惔...

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought would be call your farrier and let them know you have a problem...
Being they know your property and wet conditions they may be able to give you better advice...
My farrier not only would advise, he would be on his way to my place to see if he could offer some physical help locating the abscess and either applying a drawing poultice or if it is really close to the surface to pop, help it a bit to drain the poison, then pack it clean and dry...

The horse is often worst just before the eruption occurs...for me, that means 3-legged lame and totally non-weight bearing.
If in doubt, make a phone call to the vet/farrier professionals for advice on what to do, how to do and what products to use for best outcome.
馃惔...
i have made a phone call to him. He said to let him know how she is over the weekend i just want to find a way to prevent it

Super Moderator
To prevent what??? Abscesses from happening?

Some horses are prone to them.
You have no way of knowing if this horse has a history of hoof abscesses if she is new to you, doing a series of hoof films might of shown some issues though.
How to prevent...
Good diet fed for optimum hoof health promoted, some luck, some being aware of the ground your horse walks on, lives in and offering a combination of dry and moisture infused ground so the hoofs do not dry out to much nor are they wet and soft either.
If the horse has lousy feet then a really good hoof supplement with all the supporting amino acids in proper amounts might help but...genetics is a large part of the equation...
And having a good farrier with care given at appropriate times is a large part of your horse having the best, healthiest hooves for them.
I offer you good luck with your new horse, you are just starting the learning curve of this animal and what it truly requires to be healthy, sound and a great riding partner.
馃惔....

Registered
Don't know if there's a way to prevent abscess. Maybe keeping feet well trimmed, not letting bars get over grown.

My horse gets abscesses every so often. Sometimes I soak then wrap foot with a drawing poultice. Most times I just let it be and abscess pops on it's own in a few days. Worst thing to do is lock them up in a stall, movement helps abscesses to pop faster.

Try and find somewhere dry to keep horse if you can. Even just a few hours per day will help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
To prevent what??? Abscesses from happening?

Some horses are prone to them.
You have no way of knowing if this horse has a history of hoof abscesses if she is new to you, doing a series of hoof films might of shown some issues though.
How to prevent...
Good diet fed for optimum hoof health promoted, some luck, some being aware of the ground your horse walks on, lives in and offering a combination of dry and moisture infused ground so the hoofs do not dry out to much nor are they wet and soft either.
If the horse has lousy feet then a really good hoof supplement with all the supporting amino acids in proper amounts might help but...genetics is a large part of the equation...
And having a good farrier with care given at appropriate times is a large part of your horse having the best, healthiest hooves for them.
I offer you good luck with your new horse, you are just starting the learning curve of this animal and what it truly requires to be healthy, sound and a great riding partner.
馃惔....
i definally look at that!! and i know shes got a history with abcsess

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know if there's a way to prevent abscess. Maybe keeping feet well trimmed, not letting bars get over grown.

My horse gets abscesses every so often. Sometimes I soak then wrap foot with a drawing poultice. Most times I just let it be and abscess pops on it's own in a few days. Worst thing to do is lock them up in a stall, movement helps abscesses to pop faster.

Try and find somewhere dry to keep horse if you can. Even just a few hours per day will help.
what if shes limping very bad. Like shes really limping bad

Registered
Being she's new to you get farrier or vet out, to make sure it is in fact an abscess. With my boy I know what's going on. Yes sometimes they are broken legged lame,before an abscess pops.

It's so hard to see them in pain. Hopefully you can get her feeling better soon. Keep us updated on what's found after vet or farrier check.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Being she's new to you get farrier or vet out, to make sure it is in fact an abscess. With my boy I know what's going on. Yes sometimes they are broken legged lame,before an abscess pops.

It's so hard to see them in pain. Hopefully you can get her feeling better soon. Keep us updated on what's found after vet or farrier check.
all i know is she has a high history of getting abcesses easily

Super Moderator
all i know is she has a high history of getting abcesses easily
Then you will be facing this often if that information is true and factual...
If factual, then plan on the animal not being sound for lengths of time and unusable at those times.

Diet is often a partial reason why the animal is plagued by abscesses...
You do need some help though as the animal is new, and hands-on since you don't know the animal so my return call to the farrier is "I need you to come see the horse, now"...then proceed as is needed when the farrier arrives and inspects what you just bought with those hooves as they are.
Being you bought a horse with known abscess issues I would have the vet out to draw for blood chemistry to see if there are imbalances that could be contributing to the problem.
Something simple out of normal range in bloods could give you heaps of grief....
Something simple as bad farrier work can compound your problem too and make more issue....
馃惔...

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Then you will be facing this often if that information is true and factual...
If factual, then plan on the animal not being sound for lengths of time and unusable at those times.

Diet is often a partial reason why the animal is plagued by abscesses...
You do need some help though as the animal is new, and hands-on since you don't know the animal so my return call to the farrier is "I need you to come see the horse, now"...then proceed as is needed when the farrier arrives and inspects what you just bought with those hooves as they are.
Being you bought a horse with known abscess issues I would have the vet out to draw for blood chemistry to see if there are imbalances that could be contributing to the problem.
Something simple out of normal range in bloods could give you heaps of grief....
Something simple as bad farrier work can compound your problem too and make more issue....
馃惔...
i will !! thank tou so much

Registered
There are things that cause abscesses, sure: diet, the way your horse鈥檚 hooves are trimmed, the weather... but there isn鈥檛 one thing you can do to prevent them. Even perfectly healthy horses get them sometimes. Good luck! Abscesses are a pain.

Reactions: gottatrot

Registered
got my mare home and its been 2 days and she has developed an abcess and i have no clue what to do i dont have a stall built yet as well as my entire pasture is muddy and wet so no dry area. Any advice!

i just want to find a way to prevent it

what if shes limping very bad. Like shes really limping bad
First, how do you know it is an abscess? Yes, I understand the previous owner told you that the horse has a history of an abscess, but how do you know that's what it is?
Which leg/foot appears to be bothering her?
Can you feel a bounding digital pulse?
Is there any heat or swelling anywhere on the foot or leg?

Again, your first step is to determine if she really has an abscess.
Ideally, you want her somewhere CLEAN if she has one because if it bursts open, you don't want bacteria-laden mud to get in the opening and cause deeper problems.
Movement tends to be good for an abscess so I wouldn't lock her up in a stall.
I understand you've only got so much to work with, but then it may be a good idea to wrap the foot both to keep it clean and to possibly draw out the abscess.
You'll want to soak the offending hoof in HOT water (you don't want to burn her, but get it good and warm as you can tolerate) and epsom salt. Soak it several times a day if you are able.
You can buy various poutices but I just make my own home made "sugar-dine" with sugar and idodine, and then pack it onto the bottom of the foot, apply a diaper, and then wrap the bottom in duct tape.
This may or may not help the abscess burst sooner, but it's at least something you can try.

Keep in touch with your farrier, but you don't exactly what to "do digging". Sometimes that can do more harm than good.

As already mentioned, you can't prevent an abscess but you can do your best to make sure the horse has their feet trimmed well, and timely. And has access to good nutrition.
Looking at some of your other posts about this horse, her feet look VERY long. That could be part of the problem to her history of abscesses.

Reactions: loosie

Super Moderator
Hi, First question, how do you know she has an abscess & not something else?

Next q, if she is 'prone' to abscesses, what's going on? Recurring abscesses can be thought of as a symptom, rather than the problem of itself. Is it that she 'just' has thin soles & her owner has ridden her without protection, so she's 'prone' to stone bruising? Or is she 'prone' to seedy toe, or has chronic laminitis? Imbalanced & badly trimmed hooves? Or does she live in eternally wet footing? Or some such.

You do not want to lock up a horse with an abscess(or for all that many reasons). They need to be out & motivated to move. **You don't want to force a lame horse to exercise either though - just set it up that she is able/encouraged to exercise as much as she's up to it.

BUT if her feet are already seriously compromised &/or abscessing, I would not be keeping her on wet footing.

Registered
get her feet xrayed. IT could be more than just an abcess. Clean her feet well, get some durasole, or life data labs hoof clay, get a hoof packing to draw out the abcess. Clean her feet well, get the rolled cotton, pack the sole , put the cotton over the packing. Over the cotton put vet wrap, over that put duct tape . Lots of duct tape since it is wet out. You can google how to wrap a hoof with an abscess.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
thank you for alll advice! i have contacted my farrier he said just to monitor and soak her foot! And i did find the abcsess right beside her frog its a hole decent size i soaked it in the salt my farrier recommended me to get. shes feeling a bit better! i will post photos

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
If it's already burst & left a hole, she should be feeling a heap better. I'd use a salt slurry or such, to kill any bugs & dry it out some.
yes i cleaned the dirt out of it before soaking and after that she started walking a tad better but i will continue to soak and moniter her

1 - 18 of 18 Posts