The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi So my current pony silver is for sale and no im selling him privatley before you ask but im not sure about this one thing......

So my dads friend told us about this pony who's owner has owned him for 13years and refuses to sell him so she wants to let him out on loan for a couple of years the pony hasnt been ridden in a few months and its supposed to be a really talented pony it was owned by a international showjumper!so im pre summing its going to be good!
it 14.2 gelding and thats all i know about it!
the reason im selling my current pony is because i fell of back in october and broke my arm i have been riding my freinds pony on and off since december! it was a huge confidence knocker and im having doubhts about it now! am i being silly or should i be worrying? i have a lesson on the pony on tuesday and i have been told i can take as long as i want with it! what should i do?

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
the reason im selling my current pony is because i fell of back in october and broke my arm i have been riding my freinds pony on and off since december! it was a huge confidence knocker and im having doubhts about it now! am i being silly or should i be worrying? i have a lesson on the pony on tuesday and i have been told i can take as long as i want with it! what should i do?
First off, so sorry to hear you hurt yourself. Hope you are doing ok now.

Selling your pony because you fell off I don't believe is a good solution. How did this accident happen? You will DOZENS of falls thru your riding career, I actually quit counting mine), so does that mean you are going to sell your horse each time you do?

Years ago(my appology for those of you who have read this a dozen time now), I also, broke my wrist during a riding lesson. Tho I don't really remember that far back now, I'm sure my confidence was really affected as well, it's a normal reaction! :D

Start up slow again. Get back on your pony and do little things. Start off at a walk and stay there until you build enough confidence to start trotting etc. Nothing wrong at all with doing that. Horses are big animals, I don't blame you BUT you can get over this fear, you can do it. We all know you can.

Horses are horses and even the best trained or oldest ones will still act on their flight or fight instinct which can lead to riders getting hurt. It's part of the sport. Christopher Reeve's story was one of those unfortunate ones.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yup, what Kelly said. I was recently bucked off of my leased horse because he was in pain, and I'm going to get back on him when my concussion passes and I'm fit again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

Selling your pony because you fell off I don't believe is a good solution. How did this accident happen? You will DOZENS of falls thru your riding career, I actually quit counting mine), so does that mean you are going to sell your horse each time you do?

But the thing is the reason i fell off is because he is a very hard pony to ride very strong an arab and has a HUGE head shaking problem when im jumping him, dont get me wrong he has amazing jumping potential ive had him for 6months and i just cant get to grips with him bottem line is that hes just to much for me to handle nearly immposibble to do a course with him! when i got him he was skin and bone but as soon as he put wait on he was a different horse i was scared at the thoughts of jumping him! and every week i went to a compition i would get physically sick for the nerves i put off selling him for so long because i though i was being silly selling such a jumper!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I dont think you should sell him... just start off slow. Maybe you can ride that other pony every now and then, for fun... I once had a nasty fall on Love Story, and she turns out alot and refuses alot lol, and so Ive had alot of falls haha!!! But no matter what I never give up on her. If you see my thread in the jumping section, you'll see I lose my confidence sometimes, but I will never sell her, unless I really have to. Just take things slow, and Im sure you and your pony will be a good team again. Good luck!!! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i know but silver is too strong for me and i wish i dint have to but i do have to sell him! i had secound thoughts so i went to an international showjumper who sometimes coaches me the pony ii might be getting belonged to him a while ago but he sold it! he told me that im never going to get to the bottem of him! and if he's too strong for me then whats the piont?x

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you honestly think he's too much horse for you, then go ahead and sell him. But, not without getting back on him first!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I might make myself pretty unpopular with this, but I think you are right in selling him.

You are being honest about your lack of experience and admitting the horse is too much for you. Kudos to you, that can be a hard thing to face and admit. Your horse might and probably will be a fantastic horse for someone with more experience and ability than you. You are comfortable riding your friends pony, and a loan/lease doesn't lock you into a commitment if you don't work well with him.

I'm a big believer in not buying and reselling horses all the time, every horse I have ever had I have had for YEARS, with the exception of one I did sell eventually because she was in all honesty too much for me. She was also too much for everyone else at the stable I worked at, she was too much for the barn owners, and she was too much for the three different trainers I had out to work with her. She ended up going to be a broodmare and has lived a happy life ever since.

To me a pet, any pet, including horses, is a commitment and one that should always be taken seriously. Were it my horse I wouldn't be selling, but then I am not a beginner and I seriously don't lack for confidence when it comes to working with horses :lol:.

But I also believe a beginner needs a beginners horse, and it doesn't sound like your arab is. As mentioned, find the right experienced home for him, and he will probably be much happier. Find the right level horse for yourself, and you will be happier too.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I might make myself pretty unpopular with this, but I think you are right in selling him.

You are being honest about your lack of experience and admitting the horse is too much for you. Kudos to you, that can be a hard thing to face and admit. Your horse might and probably will be a fantastic horse for someone with more experience and ability than you. You are comfortable riding your friends pony, and a loan/lease doesn't lock you into a commitment if you don't work well with him.

I'm a big believer in not buying and reselling horses all the time, every horse I have ever had I have had for YEARS, with the exception of one I did sell eventually because she was in all honesty too much for me. She was also too much for everyone else at the stable I worked at, she was too much for the barn owners, and she was too much for the three different trainers I had out to work with her. She ended up going to be a broodmare and has lived a happy life ever since.

To me a pet, any pet, including horses, is a commitment and one that should always be taken seriously. Were it my horse I wouldn't be selling, but then I am not a beginner and I seriously don't lack for confidence when it comes to working with horses :lol:.

But I also believe a beginner needs a beginners horse, and it doesn't sound like your arab is. As mentioned, find the right experienced home for him, and he will probably be much happier. Find the right level horse for yourself, and you will be happier too.
You're all right in my book, Indy!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree with Indy. If this isn't the first problem you're having with you arab pony and you've tried working past it, then I think the right thing to do is find a rider and home suitable to him. Obviously don't give up on your first failed attempt at something, but if it's just repeating itself and you've tried, then I think you're doing the right thing in selling. Hanging onto a horse that's too much for you is a waste in my opinion, unless you have trainers to help you work through your issues together.

I agree that beginners need beginner horses...and an experienced rider will make your arab pony blossom! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Hi So my current pony silver is for sale and no im selling him privatley before you ask but im not sure about this one thing......

So my dads friend told us about this pony who's owner has owned him for 13years and refuses to sell him so she wants to let him out on loan for a couple of years the pony hasnt been ridden in a few months and its supposed to be a really talented pony it was owned by a international showjumper!so im pre summing its going to be good!
it 14.2 gelding and thats all i know about it!

I'm not sure I'd give up on your pony just yet. Was he good for you prior to the accident? You will have to work to get your confidence back, but that can be done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes i knw and firstly id like ot justreply to the comment that was made by on eof th eposters, beginers need beginer horses! i dont meen to sound rude or anything but i really dont think i am a beginer i have been riding for nearly 7 years and i jump 110/1.20 courses on a day to da basis so do not see how that comes under as a beginer do you? and also arabs tend to have a lot of head " issues" just like my horse he is not to strong nor too much for me that i have 2 sell him for those reasons he is simpley just not suited to me! i highley agree with your piont though a more experienced hevier rider than myself wouldnt have as much as a chalange with him as i do! but that does not mean i am a beginer and nor does it suggest that! thank you for all your advice and i have made up my mind about the matter the horse is for sale i do not have time to go back to basics with him just yet so i am moving him on to a home were he is better suited! i am on the look out for a jumper a 138 talented jumper and all rounder so if any one has any ideas of ponys that they think and would like to suggest to me please do! also silver is for sale to an experienced and competitive home from saturday the20th of february i fanyone is intrested or knows someone who might be of intrest please tell me via mail or post a reply to this tread:) he is honest and will jump anything you put in front of him! for sale in ireland mid louth area also will be for sale in northern ireland some time soon!
thank youxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm confused, in your first post you had said that the reason your selling him because you fell off and now basically your afraid to ride him...

now let me tell you something, having to work with horses makes a good rider, most horses your going to come across arent perfect and la de da. My very quiet two year old spooked two weeks ago and took off bucking like a bronc and threw me twice, I fractured my tailbone. Last night he kicked up a ****fit and it took me a half hour to get him to walk over a cavaletti, lots of rearing and darting off, but it was something that I had to work through because I'm not giving up on him, nor letting him get away with it. He is alot to handle, and very different than what I am used to, my other horse is in her early twenties. If all you want is just a pushbutton horse that you can just plod around on then go ahead, but that dosn't make a good rider, or even an experienced one, no matter how long you've ridden for.

But with that said, if you did all you can do and actually tried to work through it, and you guys just dont click thats all you can do. Just seems to me like you've seen this shiny new pony whos "fantabulous" and you want it, so out goes your other horse.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Yes i knw and firstly id like ot justreply to the comment that was made by on eof th eposters, beginers need beginer horses! i dont meen to sound rude or anything but i really dont think i am a beginer i have been riding for nearly 7 years and i jump 110/1.20 courses on a day to da basis so do not see how that comes under as a beginer do you? and also arabs tend to have a lot of head " issues" just like my horse he is not to strong nor too much for me that i have 2 sell him for those reasons he is simpley just not suited to me! i highley agree with your piont though a more experienced hevier rider than myself wouldnt have as much as a chalange with him as i do! but that does not mean i am a beginer and nor does it suggest that! thank you for all your advice and i have made up my mind about the matter the horse is for sale i do not have time to go back to basics with him just yet so i am moving him on to a home were he is better suited! i am on the look out for a jumper a 138 talented jumper and all rounder so if any one has any ideas of ponys that they think and would like to suggest to me please do! also silver is for sale to an experienced and competitive home from saturday the20th of february i fanyone is intrested or knows someone who might be of intrest please tell me via mail or post a reply to this tread:) he is honest and will jump anything you put in front of him! for sale in ireland mid louth area also will be for sale in northern ireland some time soon!
thank youxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry, I was not trying to offend by thinking you were a beginner, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. I was just assuming based on the spelling errors/lack of language skills we were dealing with someone quite young. My mistake.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay! Firstly I would just like to reply to brighteyes08, Yes I know riding so called"push button" pony's does not get you anywhere and that i should not give up on Silver! I would just like to make a few things clear seeing as you were confused about it all. Silver as I said before is a very hard pony and yes given a few more months I would get the hang of him, And we would possibly finaly click, But i simply do not have much more time to spend on Silver at the moment! I am just reaching for better things! I am aiming to qualify for The rds 1m and 1.10m and there is just not enough time for me and silver to acheive that in 5 months so Im moving him on, not because I am afraid of him, not because I am nervous or giving up on him but because he is too much for me at the moment and I dont have the time to work with him on that, I Just dont have time to get confidence on him again! I want a horse to take me to the top not one where I have to wait for years to get their, I am better than that! this does not mean I dont love him, I do! But Thank you anyway!

And to IndyHorse yes it was your mistake! I would HIGHLEY suggest that you dont just ASSUME things anymore before you have the facts! Thank you very much! And Iam so sorry I gave you that immpression! I am 14 not 4!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Whoa! Indy horse makes a good point and altho I will probably get lynched for this, you aint gonna make it to 'the top' in the space of 6mth! If your horse is the wrong horse then fine but I was always told that a good horse person always 'has time' to go back to basics. If the basics are crap then ur screwed anyway! Just chill and remember its supposed to be fun not stressfull and miserable!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Um original poster, you asked these people for help so don't go jumping at them about every little thing. YOU asked THEM they are only responding to your requests. Every opinion given so far is a good one but truely it's up to you what you do with your pony. I have riden several horses ( two being arabs) who are a bit more than I thought I could handle, BUT if you are patient things will start to work out. If you sell your pony you won't feel the satisfaction of accomplishing something in your riding career. Believe me, it's a good feeling. So what if you have to go back to the basics, it happens to all of us at one point or another. Horses are sometimes complicated animals but once they learn what you're asking then they turn out great. I am not trying to influence you but please if you dont want advice from us then don't post please.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes i know i aint gonna make it to the top in just 6months but I dont think that your quite understanding what Im trying to say!
dublin is just the start of me working my way up to the top Im sorry if i seemed over-dramatic or something but showjumping is just something Iam really patcientate about its nearly my whole life! I would let silver out on loan for a couple of years if I could afford it, but unfortunatly i can't! and I am going to miss silver with all my heart but I cant afford to lose another 6 months!
I hope you understand now?xx

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.