The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this guy gave us his horses for free, He said either we take em, or he will take them to the auction for slaughter, or shoot them.
So we took them, and they are here.
They are abit more 'wild' but we can go up to them no problem, they are curious and friendly, but get spooked really easily, so thing's have to be tooken slowly.
They are around 5 years old, not broke, not to tame, they just sat in the pasture. Both are Quarter Horses.
My dad let me choose one for myself, and he is an early birthday present i will say lol, they are both Geldings.

They both need new names, they were previously named Hurricane and Strider.
My dad said they were terrified of the last person who had them, which is why he labeled them 'wild'

Poor boys.

My dad's is the bay one, and mine is the Chestnut ? With the blaze.
My boy has such over grown hooves it is sickening, so the farrier will be coming asap.

Anyway's i have lots of pictures, but this should keep you sane till my other's are uploaded :p !

I am guessing mine is around 14HH, and my dad's around 15HH.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I've seen worse and that's easy to fix : ). The hard part is going to be earning their trust.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha yes definitally.
I think i have already done that really easily slightly with my new boy :)

I NEED NAME SUGGESTIONS BTW !

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha yes definitally, the horse's are all fuzzy, spring just came and they are all shedding like crazyness !

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'm assuming that is Twister in your sig? It's funny because your new guy looks like he has a twister going up his face, lol.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, i don't have a horse named twister anymore, it was the name of the horse i was going to purchase but decided not to, the horse in my avatar is my horse Indigo.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Very very cute boys! Poor things those hooves are probably killer to walk on!

I think you should name him a color, like Indigo's name(since grey animals are commonly called "blue" anyway lol) it can be a Brown name or a red one

Some "brown" colors/names
-Havanna
-Redwood ("Red")( I really like this one)
-Copper
-Cordovan("Cordie")
-Ecru
-Seal

Red
-Flame
-Lava
-Rosso
-Rosewood("Woodie")
-Umber
-Rufous

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thank you very much Honeysuga !
I have alway's admired the name Havanna.
Not sure what my dad will name his, but i kind of wish mine was a mare lol ! I have so many names for mare's available in my mind, but none for a gelding :p

Anyone here seen the movie 'horse whisperer' ?
I have been thinking of naming him Pilgrim or Gulliver, i have always wanted a horse named that :p and for a show name how about Rebel's Dawn ? or something :p

My boy is definitally around 14HH, LOL he is so small compared to Indigo, anyway's i figure that out because he is smaller than pepper who is around 15HH, and my dad's new one is around 15HH also because he matches close to pepper.

So Indigo remains the tallest of all the horses on the farm :D !

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i really like Unique names, just a head's up, if it isnt noticable lol :p i tend to throw 'common' names aside, to original lol !

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you SUJ :)
keep them coming,
Also EveningShadow's just called me, and she was looking at my new boy at the photos, and it might be the angle his foot is right now, because his feet are very flared and need a trim, but does he look club footed on the left ? IT might go down after he has proper footing and balance, but you never know.. ?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to add to the above post, after some reading, i think he probably doesn't have a club foot, but it is flared. Because of the hoof not being trimmed, here is an article that i have read..

Club Foot

But we will see.. i will get some confo shots and everything when i can put a halter on him... and so forth... so keep an eye out lol

·
Registered
627 Posts
They are both super cute. :)

For your chessie...I like Gulliver. Even though the Gulliver in that story didn't meet such a happy end. ):

Some others...
Falcon
Topper
Papoose
Paiute
Pie
Winchester

Just some names from history and legend.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts