The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, i am REALLY between a rock and a hard place right now.... I just took on a free lease mare, pretty little POA pony and shes a real sweet heart! i took her on because my sister has been getting into trouble with boys, and shes only 14 with alot ahead of her. My Parents feel like they have tried everything and that they weren't sure what else they could do, so i stepped in making this and opportunity for her to connect with something that wont having her 16 and pregnant....But as of right now.. shes not the one i'm worried about! I JUST got this mare as of YESTERDAY! the "owners" are really busy right now and i haven't been able to get ahold of them.

I have only ever had to deal with one pregnant mare and AGAIN i was stuck between a rock and a very hard place! she was a drop off in my pasture and i took her in under my wing.

as for this mare, i can't quite tell whats rumbling in her tummy. I was outside earlier this afternoon watering my horse and this pony. and i was watching her, and an oddly shaped lump on her tummy got me curious.... so i sat there thinking about the coincidence.... saying "no alexis... its just in your head... no..."

well i had the thought.. and my mind wondered... so i walked over to her to investigate.... i must have walked around her a dozen times....I keep thinking what are the odds! i would take in a mare that is pregnant.... just my luck... so i took a few photos so you guys can pitch in your opinion for me, and i know pictures can only say so much :/ but when i would reach under her tummy feeling around, she was starting to put her ears back.. but it was only on the one spot.. where there bug LUMP IS, and i have seen lots of baby lumps -____- and i cant lie or deny... it does look like a baby llump......... i am just praying someone tells me i am paranoid....... I plan of calling a vet asap. but it wont be until i get paid.. TWO WEEKS and even then i still have to make sure i have enough because college is sucking all my money out from under me lol like i said A ROCK AND A VERY HARD PLACE....

please pitch in opinions... but nothing negative because i am a very tender person and i take alot of things to heart ... Mean while i will try calling her "owner" again.

p.s when my foster mare was pregnant i don't remember her having that bag in front of her teats? I can post pics of my foster mare if needed so you can see what i'm talking about.

thanks to everyone who is reading this and wanting to give tips and advice. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
How about some pictures farther out so we can see her whole body. Things can look skewed and out of proportion when they're close up pictures. Obviously like DD said, a vet to scan her would be ideal...but let's see what she looks like with better pictures :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, she is one who is all up in the personal space....its a work in progress lol

Well, its official. She is in foal I had a friend of mine who is a large animal vet look at ger.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she just too a look, that's all I could afford at this point. I an trying to get ahold of the owners but they are in sheer denial.....

Meanwhile this is all happening, my gelding is destroying my fences to get out! I dont understand why all this is happening at once. He is driving me crazy and she is worrying me!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
she just too a look, that's all I could afford at this point. I an trying to get ahold of the owners but they are in sheer denial.....

Meanwhile this is all happening, my gelding is destroying my fences to get out! I dont understand why all this is happening at once. He is driving me crazy and she is worrying me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Even a vet who only looks at a mare can be as accurate as strangers on the Internet when it comes to determining equine pregnancy. Many mares have false pregnancies and act pregnant, produce milk, get baby bump shaped bellies and basically can physically mimic every sign of pregnancy. Unless feet are on the way out and/or movement where only babies make movement (gut movement is often mistaken to be a baby), no one can tell by just looking.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Agree with sunnydarco. No vet can accurately diagnose a pregnancy through looking at the mare.
Posted via Mobile Device
Unless you can see feet poking out one end :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
You can't tell a horse is pregnant by "looking at her". Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Both the vets I work with, and both are large animal vets as well as small animal vets would never ever tell an owner their mare was pregnant by "looking at her" unless as others have said there are feet sticking out. Any large animal can look pregnant and just be fat, horses cows, etc. That is why a competent vet will either palpate(and even then make mistakes)or do ultrasound which can show babies as early as 28 days.
I had a gelding that looked pregnant......
You have NO way of knowing without a proper vet exam, not just "looking at her" exam to know if this mare is pregnant.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Ditto what DD said. And to add into that, it's actually advised to US 14-16 post breeding to check for twins as that is the ideal time to eliminate one without compromising the other. After the 16 day mark both are implanted and more than likely you will lose both fetuses.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, I know you can't just tell by "looking" but when I said she looked she felt around and gave me tips. Its not a 100%, but closer than i was days ago.... I have had a friends horse get and ultrasound and the vet said she was pregnant and it turns out she wasn't. There's always that chance they could be or not People say there's no way possible.... But they still turn out to be But like i said it was a favor to me.... The lady who owns her refuses to call me back so now i am getting frustrated.

I just wish i could have been better prepared...thebonly thing i can do is sit and wait and hope her owner does the right thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Or you could get a vet to ultrasound/ run bloods?
Posted via Mobile Device
or, I could say this...AGAIN.....i dont have the money, she's not my horse...the agreement was they pay the vet bills I pay everything else.....so I will say it once more....this horse....is not....mine....THE OWNER IS NOT RESPONDING TO MY CALLS....MY TEXT....NOTHING.....SHE IS IGNORING ME AND I HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO DO.

I am a college student.... I have a minimum wage job when not in school,I am working there PAYING for school
..i wasn't handedeverytuingnlike half thebhodse world...i work for it...i have 3 jobs. And im only 19....i dont....have...the money....to call a vet out. The vet trip alone is $100.

thanks for the "support" and "advice".... I will talk to someone who is more understanding.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.