The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself! I'm a new horse owner, I hope I'll be able to learn from all of you and occasionally get some advice.

This is my 12 year old Quarter horse Dallas, who I adopted a few weeks ago. Dallas went through a rough time last year with neglect and injury - he was starved and had a terrible hoof abscess that took a full year to heal. He was rescued by some good people and I was able to adopt him.

I was looking for a companion for my donkey - I was intially intending to get something smaller with bigger ears! But then I found Dallas and my inner teenage horse crazy girl woke up 馃檪 So this is really the dream of a lifetime come true.

Dallas and Layla (the donkey) get on great and she now lets me get out of sight without calling and running around! All good. Dallas is as good as gold on the ground. He stands quietly, leads easily and stays with me at all times. I take them for walks and they both stick to me like glue. Dallas walks with his nose touching my arm or in my back. But he also gets worried when the donkey lags behind too far.

His previous owners used him for the occasional lesson and he has been cleared for light riding. I rode him a couple of times at their place, but I felt quite a bit of resistance from him. I can't say for sure if this is because his foot still hurts him or because of fear and insecurity. Anyway, I'm not in a hurry. I tried to ride him here once or twice (just to the field) but he completely freezes up and doesn't move. I didn't press him and just got off. I put my 12 year old son on his back yesterday and led him around, and he was perfect, no sign of pain or anxiety. He seems to relax as long as I am on the ground leading him. I can't see any lameness but it's his back leg so I might be missing it.

So, that's our story! 馃檪 I hope he will be staying with us for the rest of his life, lame or sound. He's a dear!! 馃挌

Attachments

Registered
Congrats! They're both adorable. I agree with your idea of taking it slow. My mare is fairly anxious, and I did a lot of work with her on the ground because she seems happier with that. We did a liberty training course, then a ground work course. You might try things like that, along with clicker training and other things you can do on the ground. And when you have created a strong relationship, you can start adding a light ride at the end of a ground work / liberty training / clicker training session so that he begins to understand that riding is just an extension of what you are doing on the ground. I always feel my mare is much better if I take time to do some ground work before I get on her. It makes her more confident and willing. Good luck, and have fun!

Registered
WELCOME!!!

Congratulations on your lovely horse Dallas, what a cutie :smile:

Layla is adorable, how nice they have each other for company; you are such a kind and caring owner

I agree starting with groundwork and some liberty training can be fun for both of you. Plus Dallas can build up his strength without pressure of riding.

Also remember small steps are best with a scared horse, or really any horse. Mounting then dismounting with lots of praise is not a bad thing! Then slowly ask for one step, then two, etc. Build up slowly and your horse will trust that you mean no harm.

Registered
Welcome! They are adorable! It's great that you were able to help Dallas and get a companion for Layla at the same time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!! 馃槉 Liberty training sounds fun! I think I will look into that. And lots of groundwork is definitely on the list. I have done some lunging with him and he seems happy to do that. Hopefully we can build slowly from there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts