The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I’m planning on building an outdoor arena, but I’m on a very minimal budget, currently this is what I have on the ground now, it’s not very hard but does have a lot of gravel, it’s great when wet, not too muddy, I do have a lot of clean dirt and idk what to do with it!! I was thinking of putting the dirt aroun the edge of the arena to plant some plants and inside the middle use the base I have now and just bring in some angular sand.. what do you guys think/recommend!?! Help please 😫

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
If that arena sheds water and not develop pools or standing, then I would not be building any berm to plant trees on.
Honestly, any "farm" that has livestock has a use for fill dirt often in many areas and locations of the property.
I would just not use the dirt for something that could change your drainage good to be drainage bad.
If you do not know how the grade is of your land, that affects your ability to drain water properly away from structures, and things like your arena...don't touch.
You want to plant bushes as a privacy barrier along your very distant fence line, sure go for it...
But close to a existing arena that is draining well, to me that is a mistake.

On our place in our barn paddock we had nearly 80 yards of clean fill dirt stock-piled...
Over the course of a year nearly that entire pile is gone...don't ask me where we put most of that dirt cause no idea but can tell you it was used for the horses and to build up where the ground settled, but can you "see" it, nope.
🐴 ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts