Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So we have had a breeding/stud ranch in our family for generations and it has been passed down to me as my father is ready to retire. I have 2 majors in accounting and another in equestrian studies. I know the finance side of things much more than the horse side of things. I have a wonderful small staff that is very helpful but would also like to reach out to some of the members here and have some good conversations.

Also, I hope I'm not the only female member because I would love to hear from my peers. Have a great day!

~Lindsay

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
On HF the males are few & far between. Did you grow up on the ranch? Have you done much riding? What breed of horses-you didn't say what state you were in, that would sometimes give us a clue. do you have any specific questions that we could address?

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Howdy Lindsay! Plenty of females on here, not so many breeders or at least, not so many who actually try to make a living from a horse farm as a breeder. There are at least a couple of us though.

What kinds of things are you looking to talk about? We all LOVE to brag about our horses, our mares soon due to foal, our foals and their mamas...most of us are pretty horse obsessed.

·
Registered
695 Posts
:wave: Hi! Welcome to the forum! If you're looking for other horsey people who are knowledgeable and informative, you have come to the right place! The information available here is endless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aww haha well for now I don't want to disclose too much information about my practice in public. Probably a biproduct of my years spent in the corporate world. I guess my questions relate mostly to how to best handle the stallions and ensure they are kept happy. I had no idea they would be quite so frisky! Lol

I did grow up on the ranch but was kind of kept away from much more than riding and basic care. I'm an adopted asian girl so I wasn't exactly the biggest of girls when i was younger. I think my dad was always worried about me getting hurt....probably explains the dance trophies piling up dust in the attic.

It would be really cool to have a group of ladies I could reach out to on gchat or facebook(my primary ways of communication)

TY for your comments so far!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
If you are great at finances and keeping the BUSINESS running, YOU do THAT. Keeping the business running is more difficult than managing stallions. If the business fails, the horses fail.

I would look to find and hire a very good stallion/stable manager. Hire him and keep him happy and maintain good communication with all of your employees. And YES, be involved with the day to day running of the ranch. Don't just bring him in and sit back. Learn from him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I guess my questions relate mostly to how to best handle the stallions and ensure they are kept happy. I had no idea they would be quite so frisky! Lol

I'm an adopted asian girl so I wasn't exactly the biggest of girls when i was younger.
Free quick tip on the stallions:

If you, a "not exactly the biggest of girls", smaller Asian lady cannot handle him, he needs to be a gelding. I am not huge and I can stop my any stallion on my place with a look, or he doesn't remain a stallion. Unless they are actively teasing or breeding a mare, I expect them to act like geldings. If I'm leading or riding them, they are not allowed to "talk" or sniff or act studly in any way. Mine all know what "No talking" means and they shut up. I can't stand a screaming stallion.

:wink:That's the best advice anyone ever gave me about the boys. The others who are advising you to be the one handling the finances and letting someone experienced handle the horses and especially the stallions are absolutely right on. There's a joke in the horse business that if you want to become a millionaire, you need to start with 5 million, you'll get there quick, and it's true. Very few horse operations actually make money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.