The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so frustrated! I need to vent more than anything. I sold one of my old horses to a guy that was going to use him for trails. (He was a retired 10yr old barrel horse) The guy has had him for about a year and has not rode the horse once. Infact I just found out he has not even had his feet done since I had them done last!!! I am irritated already just by this fact.

Well the guy who bought him called me today to ask if I wanted to buy him back. If not he was taking him to the auction!! Not just any auction the a kill pen! There is nothing wrong with this horse (well there was not when he got him) He is level headed the kind of horse that can sit in the pasture for 3 months and you hop and and go bareback and he never blink. I sold the horse to him for only $500 with the contingency I would buy him back if he ever sold him. So I get the call... Ok no problem, I dont really have the room, the time, or the extra cash right now but I will buy him back. Considering he is taking him to the kill pen and going to get no more than 300 for him. I offered him $400 to buy him back. He laughed and said he wants no less than $700!!!!!!!!! :evil:

At this point I am past irritated I didnt sell him to him for that much, the horse still has on 2 of the 4 shoes he had on when he left my barn and you want me to pay WHAT? He is convinced he will take it to the sale and get $700 for him. I asked if he is going to put a reserve on him for that much and if he doesnt sell bring him back home. He said no, what ever he brings he brings. OMG. Really? I mean Really? You wont sell him back to me for basically what you paid for him and are going to take him to a kill pen for what ever he brings. I would go to the sale and buy him back there but I am on my way to NC tonight for a family wedding tomorrow. I cant! I am frustrated, in a panic, and ready to cry. I loved this horse I had him for a long time and although he was not the best barrel horse he was good ol' trusty that anyone can ride..... AGHH!!

Thanks I dont feel better but I just wanted to get it out and scream!

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I'm very sorry, horselvr. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot you can do if he's not willing to sell the horse back to you at a reasonable price.

If as you say the horse hasn't been properly cared for and ridden consistently, he certainly won't get $700.00 for the animal. He'll be lucky to get meat prices, and truth be told, will probably get less. I'm thinking $150.00-$300.00 max.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly. That's what I told him! I actually called back and offered 400 today and the another 100 next Friday when I get paid to come get him before I drive to NC so he doesn't have to feed him anymore. I tried to explain by the time he pays gas and the auctioneers price he won't b bringing home anymore than 300. He said he would get back to me. The sale starts in an hour and I have to get onthe road. I don't have time for this crap. I am so mad I ever sold a horse to this guy!!! How did I not see this coming? His other horse was well fed and cared for I surely didn't think this would happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
9,470 Posts
You don't have a friend or family member, neighbor, teacher - anyone who could have gone to the sale for you?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
If you get him back, I am interested in a finished barrel horse!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I want to use your farrier. Shoes stayed on a for a full year with no attention. Wow.

Yes, updates please.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I am back from NC. He would not return my phone calls on Friday. I called a friend of mine on Saturday (who was taking care of the horses at the barn while I was gone) and had them drive out to his farm. My horse is still there. So good news he did not go to the kill pen. I tried to call him twice yesterday and I am going to call him again today. I was told that not only has he lost weight ( he is not starved just not as thick and healthy as when he was with me) he also has rain rot now... GAH!

As far as the shoes, the guy told me personally that he has one front and one back shoe on from the last time I had shoes put on him. And my farrier is my father most of the time. He has been shoeing horses for almost 35 years. He doesnt do fee work any longer his knees and back cannot hold out he only does our horses on the farm unless they are extremely ill mannered then we have an amish guy who comes out and does feet.

I think I am going to take my trailer down to his house this evening with cash in hand and see if I can get him back. I highly doubt he will turn me away with cash in his face. If so at least I will be around in the even he tries to take him to the sale again and I can go the sale and buy him back.

I am still absolutely disgusted with this situation.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you get him back, I am interested in a finished barrel horse!

He is retired. I will not let him go back to barrel racing, thats why I sold him so cheaply to a "trail only home". He was ok, never would have made the big times and he doesnt have the heart for it. He will do it because he likes to please but his heart is not in it. He really is just a great trail horse. He is bomb proof and will go through anything, he is great to be around and makes a great pasture mate for the younger horses as he is very laid back.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Your plan sounds like a good one, and I hope you get him back. Please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
That's part of selling horses and why the ones being rehomed for free or a small fee go with a contract when we do it. Why did you sell him?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's part of selling horses and why the ones being rehomed for free or a small fee go with a contract when we do it. Why did you sell him?
Space was the number one reason. I have acquired two new horses since then. One is my future barrel prospect and the other right now is a handful but I hope to make a roping horse some day. With the addition of two new horses that would require so much work I didnt want him to be neglected in the pasture and become a yard ornament. Especially since he was not a barrel horse anymore. He had not been to a show in almost 2 years when I sold him and I came to the conclusion he would never be anything but a trail horse so he was best suited for a home that would use him for that.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Well, even though its not the best of situation- I definately respect you for wanting to make sure that the gelding does not go to the kill pens. It sounds like you're really putting in effort to try and save him. I hope that this man will come to his senses and sell him to you! Poor horse. I'm just glad that the man upheld his end of the bargain and contacted you before auctioning him- even if he did try to squeeze more money out of you. Who knows what would happen if he hadn't?

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After sitting there and staring at my old horse covered in rain rot, feet looking horrible, and on the thin side I am even more mad! I waited for an hour and he did not show up. I called him 4 times and he did not answer or return my calls. I am going to go to his house everyday this week and wait. I have to go ride the ponies I have here so I will update again when I either hear back from this guy or am able to confront him...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still have not been able to catch this guy. Word around town is he is taking my horse to a different auction this weekend. I know where the auction is and although I cannot go I do have someone going for me to buy my horse back if he does take him.

I know he knows I have been at his house because he said something to a friend of mine. He is intentionally avoiding me! I have even went as far as to leave a note on his door.

I thought about calling the humane society on him and letting them seize the horse. I dont know if they would though and I am afraid it would ruine my chances of getting him back. He is not super thin, but he is thinner than I would like to see, you can see his ribs. His hips are not sunk in or anything. But being thin, coupled with feet, and rain rot does anyone think they will take him?

I dont want to run the chance of them not taking him and then the current owner being irate and I will never get him back. Opinions???

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Something just doesn't make sense. I can't believe that he is that naive that he thinks the horse in it's present condition will bring him $700. That being the case, and even if he won't sell to you directly, what should he care if he knows you will bid at an auction. In fact, I would think, if it were me, that he stands a better chance of getting "top dollar", what ever that is, with you being there to bump up his price.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I know he knows I have been at his house because he said something to a friend of mine. He is intentionally avoiding me! I have even went as far as to leave a note on his door.
I would back off a notch. You are starting to sound like a stalker. If you are uninvited on his property, he could have you arrested for trespassing.

Unless you want to report him so the horse is confiscated, all you can do is wait him out. I would say he is trying to push your buttons - and you are letting him.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts