The Horse Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Something just doesn't make sense. I can't believe that he is that naive that he thinks the horse in it's present condition will bring him $700. That being the case, and even if he won't sell to you directly, what should he care if he knows you will bid at an auction. In fact, I would think, if it were me, that he stands a better chance of getting "top dollar", what ever that is, with you being there to bump up his price.
I dont think he is hiding the fact he is taking him to another auction as much as just avoiding me. He doest go to sales so he has no idea what they bring. He got a horse at a sale once 8 years ago and paid 1200 for it. I tried to explain to him that the bottom has fell out of horses to no avail....

I would back off a notch. You are starting to sound like a stalker. If you are uninvited on his property, he could have you arrested for trespassing.

Unless you want to report him so the horse is confiscated, all you can do is wait him out. I would say he is trying to push your buttons - and you are letting him.
Funny you say that, I feel like a stalker thats for sure lol. I am not going back to his house, if he takes it to the sale this weekend I will get him back for less than I sold him for since he is not going to put a reserve on him. I have been to this sale it is a bimonthly sale, there were some really nice horses there that only brought 500.

Like you said I dont want to get arrested for trying to save a horse...

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Ignorance is bliss, Horselvr. I hope things work out for you. I do agree that since he is avoiding you, it's best not to go back or try to contact him. He knows you want the horse so when he does a "no sale" at the auction (unless you get to be the high bidder) I'm sure he will contact you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No, he didnt take him to sale this weekend, my friend went to the sale to try and catch him for me but he didnt show up. So I am just waiting around watching grass grow... LOL

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am sorry you are goint through this. I recently got a horse back that I sold. I thought she was going to a good home so I accepted their low offer of $300. I had to pay $300 to get her back and then $200 on her vet bill the same day. I don't think I will ever be able to sell one of my three because I feel like you can't trust anyone!

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
I have to admit that I sell a lot of horses but I turn myself off to them when they are gone (for the most part). I think it would drive me crazy to think about what became of them after they left me. I feel that I do a fairly good job of screening buyers, but you never know. For me, it's better not to dwell on it. On the other hand, if I became aware of one being in a deplorable home or condition, I might try to rescue him.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have to admit that I sell a lot of horses but I turn myself off to them when they are gone (for the most part). I think it would drive me crazy to think about what became of them after they left me. I feel that I do a fairly good job of screening buyers, but you never know. For me, it's better not to dwell on it. On the other hand, if I became aware of one being in a deplorable home or condition, I might try to rescue him.
I agree, this is the first time this has happened, he was just one of those horses you hate to see to go and he didnt go far from me so I always knew where he was at. My dad knows the guy that has him and has some pretty ugly things to say about him as a person so I am guessing he will never come back home. I just hate to see a good horse go to auction and potentially go for meat. If he was being sold to another home fine, great do it, but taking him to a kill pen is not going over well for me. He is one of two horses I think about often of the 20+ I have had....

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I am sorry the situation has turned out like it has, but I still believe that you are still the person to blame.

You sold an "old" though still usable horse, when he probably could have been perfectly content to be a pasture ornament, and used occasionally as a trail horse for yourself or a non-horsey friend.

The new owner does not have to sell him back to you. The horse now belongs to him, and it is now his choice who the horse goes to, unless of course he does manage to sell this horse at auction. Just like you had the choice to sell the horse when he was yours.

Life happens. Sometimes it sucks, and things don't go how you planned, but that is all part of the learning process.

Good luck in trying to get him back.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
In my never ending search to find my old boy at auction I went to auction this weekend and saved one from the kill pen. Although I didnt find my old boy back I didnt have the heart to let the killer buy her for 125 so I picked her up. She is a registered APHA named Covered N Diamonds. She is in bad shape, needs weight, rain rot needs cleared up (its horrible even down her legs), has thrush. She is an older girl but she is very sweet and has let me pick at her all weekend trying to clear up the rain rot. Her legs are sore now because it is so bad on them but she still tolerated me washting them with the medicated shampoo and bedadine. I need to name her and I am not a fan of her registered name.... So any suggestions?

Although she kinda appears to be bay in color it is just that she has not shed out her winter coat. I gave her several medicated baths this weekend and turns out she doesnt have an ounce of bay under there she is coal black! She is wormy no doubt so we have her on QT on a course of antibiotics, wormed her, treating her feet, and breaking her into feed so she doesnt founder or colic. She is a bit on the ugly side right now but in a few months she will be shiny and look better with some weight will probably take all summer to get her to healthy weight but I couldnt stand to see such an honest horse go to the killer....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
no name ideas but she is beautiful!!
You got a right catch there!
Any word on your own boy or has the owner still got him?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I drive by once a week and he is still out in the pasture. So he still has him. I am begining to think he was not going to take him to sale just wanted money out of me. Which makes me even more angry...

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
She looks like a Solis to me. It means sunrise in latin. I think of it like you're giving her a fresh start, a new day, and every new day begins with a sunrise =)

·
Registered
635 Posts
She looks very sweet! I'm a fan of naming after fun songs. Not sure what you listen to but something like "My Girl," "Layla," or "Good Golly Miss Molly." Or else maybe pick a feature you like about her and do a play on words? I like Solis and the resoning behind it too!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I drive by once a week and he is still out in the pasture. So he still has him. I am begining to think he was not going to take him to sale just wanted money out of me. Which makes me even more angry...
You know that was my first thought when I read your first thread. That guy is such a pig, it's disgusting. I hate people. You know, the same thing happened to me with my very first horse. A lady bought her as a beginner's horse and had the mare for 3 years, then this was diagnosed with a serious condition. She called me up and was "letting me know" that because she could no longer ride, she was going to sell the horse to the meat pen unless I was to buy her back for the same price I bought her for. At the time I was 14 with no money of my own, and my parents were not in a situation where we could afford to buy the mare back($3,500).

I know that women ended up keeping the mare to pasture for few more months. Not sure what the ultimate results was, and I'm afraid to find out.

Keep us posted on this. What a horrible situation to be in.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for the name idea's! I have decided I want to get to know her a little better when she is feeling better. She has been pooping worms like crazy so she is not feeling well so I have not got to see her spirit yet. She is a good girl and thats what I have been calling her... GIRL.... or little girl.... She is just happy to see me and nickers even though I have been torturing the poor girl by working on the rain rot and her hooves. She is tolerant and I think she understands that I am trying to help her. Her legs are still kinda crappy but getting better. Her back is almost all clear of the rain rot she is bald in a few spots but bald is better than what it was... My dad is trying to convince me to put bacon grease on those spots... Old timers... ha ha the things they do... The vet comes this weekend to check her over and do her shots if she is in good enough health. Then next weekend dependant on the rain rot I will get her out to see how she rides... Could be another fun day in the neighborhood where I get thrown ;-)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts