The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently sold my mare because she became too much horse for us after sitting while I was pregnant back to back. I disclosed everything I knew about the horse, including that she was a cribber. I sold her for only $600 price reflecting the fact she needed a refresher and that she cribs.

A lady aggressively wanted to buy her and came the same day. Now, she won’t stop texting me! This morning she was complaining that the horses top teeth were bad… No kidding… She’s a cribber and it’s a given. She’s never had an issue with feed or hay. I’m not trying to be rude but honestly the horse was $600 and I don’t know what she expects. I’m scared how much further this will go. I’m at the point where I’m ready to just block her number. Am I being unreasonable? How would you handle this?

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
This sounds like one of those buyers who will claim the Seller lied.

1. You can block her number but if she is aggressive enough and lives close enough, she is liable to show up in your driveway.

2. It would be great if you had her sign a duplicate receipt that stated everything that was wrong with the horse, thus the small price tag.

2.1. Hopefully she won’t try to take legal action over a $600 horse but be prepared just in case.

3. You could offer to take the horse back if you have the room and the money and see what rolls off her lips then:). Were it me making the offe, I would not mince words either:)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
"I disclosed that she was a cribber before the sale was final. You had the option to have her evaluated by a vet before purchasing, and you chose not to. The sale was final, and she is no longer my horse. Please stop contacting me. If you do not stop contacting me, or if you show up to my property uninvited, I will request police intervention. Have a nice day."

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This sounds like one of those buyers who will claim the Seller lied.

1. You can block her number but if she is aggressive enough and lives close enough, she is liable to show up in your driveway.

2. It would be great if you had her sign a duplicate receipt that stated everything that was wrong with the horse, thus the small price tag.

2.1. Hopefully she won’t try to take legal action over a $600 horse but be prepared just in case.

3. You could offer to take the horse back if you have the room and the money and see what rolls off her lips then:). Were it me making the offe, I would not mince words either:)
I’m SO mad at myself....I didn’t even get a bill of sale! I do have our messages where I disclosed everything I knew about the horse. Definitely a live and learn situation. I am extra frustrated because she was so aggressive about coming out and buying her same day. I had other people lined up for the weekend to view her that I had to let down and I felt terrible about. I’m so, SO mad at myself.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I disclosed that she was a cribber before the sale was final. You had the option to have her evaluated by a vet before purchasing, and you chose not to. The sale was final, and she is no longer my horse. Please stop contacting me. If you do not stop contacting me, or if you show up to my property uninvited, I will request police intervention. Have a nice day."
I need to find the confidence to say something like this! To put it in perspective, I bought a horse that turned out to be twice the age the people told me, and can’t even eat hay/grass. It’s costing me a fortune to feed him! The only person I blamed was myself for not getting a vet check. I also spent nearly double what this lady did. I was honest about everything from her age to vices. I’m just so mad!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Did you send the cribbing collar with the horse? Did he have a cribbing collar? You told her and have proof you told her the horse is a cribber. Apparently the woman does not know anything about cribbers. They are simply addicted to their own brain chemicals. You should inform her cribbing can be stopped by a cribbing collar but they have to wear it for life except when being ridden. I have a cribber and I recommend the Dare collar, very efective and don't turn or slip down. It does not do anything until the horse opens their throat to crib, then it prevents the throat from expanding. There are buckles on both sides and it is tightened until the horse can't do it. When they lower their head it loosens. They cost about $80 online.

Oh, I see you said the horse is older and has trouble eating and by the teeth worn down that bad must have been allowed to crib a long time. They will wear their upper front teeth completely away if allowed to do this. Even when that happens they might not be able to bite off grass to graze but they can certinly lip up and chew hay. What did her molar teeth look like? Maybe they just need to be floated by a vet. I'm sorry you are having this stress and while pregnant too.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Did you send the cribbing collar with the horse? Did she have a cribbing collar? You told her and have proof you told her the mare is a cribber. Apparently the woman does not know anything about cribbers. They are simply addicted to their own brain chemicals. You should inform her cribbing can be stopped by a cribbing collar but they have to wear it for life except when being ridden. I have a cribber and I recommend the Dare collar, very efective and don't turn or slip down. It does not do anything until the horse opens their throat to crib, then it prevents the throat from expanding. There are buckles on both sides and it is tightened until the horse can't do it. When they lower their head it loosens. They cost about $80 online.
Hi! No we never actually used to cribbing collar. That is super good to know though, thank you! If she reaches out to me again I’ll pass the suggestion along

And no, that’s not what I meant. Sorry I wrote it totally confusing! I meant my gelding I just bought is the old one who can’t chew. The sellers were super dishonest with me but I didn’t come back after them. I was sooo honest about this mare which is why I’m so frustrated. And I priced her way low too.

The mare I sold To this lady (the cribber) had no trouble staying fat and happy on just grass and hay. She’s never had dental issues besides wearing on the front teeth. We just ran a hot wire around our top board which stopped her as long as we had her! Cribbing is so tricky. I will definitely keep that collar in mind. It would have been way easier and more Cost effective than a Hotwire!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I need to find the confidence to say something like this! To put it in perspective, I bought a horse that turned out to be twice the age the people told me, and can’t even eat hay/grass. It’s costing me a fortune to feed him! The only person I blamed was myself for not getting a vet check. I also spent nearly double what this lady did. I was honest about everything from her age to vices. I’m just so mad!
Copy&Paste it and send it directly to her, you could even add "A cribbing collar could help manage this issue as well". It doesn't matter if she likes you - you need to set a boundary and stick to it. It's her fault that she bought a horse without second thought, not yours!

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Copy&Paste it and send it directly to her, you could even add "A cribbing collar could help manage this issue as well". It doesn't matter if she likes you - you need to set a boundary and stick to it. It's her fault that she bought a horse without second thought, not yours!
Thank you! It does make me feel a little better to hear that. I feel like she’s accusing me of selling a bum horse! I mean, she’s not a champion barrel racer but that’s why she was priced as such. The horse also needed a riding refresher which I made very clear… I’m just waiting for the influx of messages ranting and raving when the horse doesn’t behave perfectly. I told her everything I knew and priced her at what I felt was reasonable for her vices. I never knew selling a horse could be so stressful. Wholly smokes!

·
Banned
742 Posts
Me...I'm thinking I would calm down then write out on paper or computer/phone notes laying out the facts: something like
"on 12/10/2020 I sold you my mare for $600. During the transaction I explained everything I knew about the horse...the good/bad/ugly.
I was transparent about the fact that she cribs and any other issues I knew about. You had the opportunity to bring a veterinarian or other person with horse knowledge but chose not to. I sold her at a really fair price.
She is now your horse and your responsibility. I can be of no further assistance to you. Hope you and family have a nice Christmas".

Of course, you know facts like date, etc.
My reasoning is now you have a written record of everything. I would save and print a copy of all texts...then forget about it.
For $600 I don't think she would spend the money and make a fool of herself in court.
If she texts back again I would consider it harrassment. At that point I would say I explained everything in my last text, the matter is closed, I'll have to block your number.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me...I'm thinking I would calm down then write out on paper or computer/phone notes laying out the facts: something like
"on 12/10/2020 I sold you my mare for $600. During the transaction I explained everything I knew about the horse...the good/bad/ugly.
I was transparent about the fact that she cribs and any other issues I knew about. You had the opportunity to bring a veterinarian or other person with horse knowledge but chose not to. I sold her at a really fair price.
She is now your horse and your responsibility. I can be of no further assistance to you. Hope you and family have a nice Christmas".

Of course, you know facts like date, etc.
My reasoning is now you have a written record of everything. I would save and print a copy of all texts...then forget about it.
For $600 I don't think she would spend the money and make a fool of herself in court.
If she texts back again I would consider it harrassment. At that point I would say I explained everything in my last text, the matter is closed, I'll have to block your number.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
That’s a great suggestion. I am going to do just that. Put it all on record, print it, and move forward! I think I need to quit being so sensitive 🙈

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Before you block her number, I'd make sure you tell her in writing, be that in sms or otherwise, reminding her that you have been totally fair & honest, that you fully disclosed everything before she agreed to buy the horse, that she (presumably) chose not to have a vet check prior to the sale and that you sold the horse 'as is', and at a very cheap price that reflected that she wasn't perfect in every way. Then, in writing I would request that she stop contacting you or you shall be forced to take measures to prevent her doing so.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This reminds me of a collector performance car I sold many years ago. When I sold it I explained one minor thing that needed to be done but, I couldn't get the new parts to correct it and had to use the old parts. One and a half years later he calls to tell me he was racing the car and blew the engine due to not replacing the parts I told him about. He asked if I would pay half the motor repair bill. I was not as diplomatic about it as you. There were no more return calls as he knew absolutely that there would be no money or help from me . Sometimes on business deals you have to be very firm and leave no room for misunderstanding. Treat people fair but, don't let them run over you. Better to hurt their feelings once and go on, if you won't they will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
I was going to suggest that when you text her, since you did NOT get a bill of sale (live and learn) that you could still get proof through text message. So as someone already typed out, include the date and amount that you sold her for along with your response. If she texts you back, that would most likely acknowledge (in a court of law) that she is agreeing that she did indeed buy the horse on such terms.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Print out all your text sent to her and from her. Send her a text stating .. You were told the horse cribbed. I gave you all the information I had on the horse. You could have paid for prepurchase exam from Your Vet before purchase. You did not have the ppe done. If you are having issues with the horse check with your Vet and your trainer. There is no other information on the horse that I have. Do not contact me further. You are harassing a pregnant women.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I had something similar happen when I helped a friend sell a horse. The horse was being picked on at friends house and was losing a lot of weight. I brought the horse to my house spent a couple weeks working it on the ground and feeding her. I posted the horse for my friend (who was new to horses and needed the help) The mare had a club foot but never had any issues. She was a 12 yr old papered paint mare. Super sweet and very pretty. I wrote the ad and in it I put Vet Checks were welcome - as I knew the mare was going to pass. Fast forward - a lady comes out from one of the Chicago suburbs to look - brought her two teen daughters. We tacked up one of my horses and the sale horse and I spent a couple of hours giving riding tips as we rode around our hay field as the girls took turns. I pointed out the foot told her she could get a vet out and she declined. She did not have a trailer so she paid for the horse and paid me to trailer it to her boarding barn. We get there are met by the BO who liked the mare - I got paid and went on my merry way. A couple of months later new owner contacts me and demands her money back because the horse has a club foot and now her oldest daughter claims that the horse walks, trots and canters oddly because of the club foot. I explained in no uncertain terms that she had every opportunity to get a vet check and that my ad even mentioned a vet check and that they could have refused the horse once it was delivered. She tried the usual threats but I cut her off and said I am sorry but you cannot ride a horse and own it for weeks and then change your mind. I hope they kept the mare - she truly was a super nice little horse - if i had had the room I may have kept her/.

Moral of my story is that you are not liable. Be firm but polite and end it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts